Re: Articles

"The injury which resulted in today's surgery has been bothering me since the slide in May. Knowing the two areas are related and also learning that my knee condition is not serious gives me peace of mind going forward that I can finish the season healthy and contribute to an exciting pennant chase."

???

Obviously the Indians and Sizemore did not want anyone to know. Why everyone makes such a big deal about not knowing every injury does not make any sense to me. A player does have a right to tell his employer he does not want them to reveal an injury. Not saying that happened here but they do have the right to privacy.

I had a tennis playing friend of mine have the same surgery.

He played for quite awhile with the sports hernia, it was no big deal.

I agree, it was something that had to be done, might as well do it now.

Doctor told him the same thing, 4-6 weeks until he could play full speed again.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

CLEVELAND -- With Edwin Jackson pitching well and breaks going their way, manager Ozzie Guillen believes the Chicago White Sox are poised for a pennant race.

Jackson beat Cleveland for the ninth straight time after Indians rookie Ezequiel Carrera dropped an easy fly ball in center field to give the White Sox two runs in a 4-2 victory Sunday.

More From ESPNChicago.com

Can't get enough White Sox information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest from the South Side. Blog

"The ball is bouncing our way now," Guillen said. "Everytime somebody makes a mistake, we take advantage of it."

Jackson (7-7) allowed one run and four hits over six innings to go to 9-1 in his career against Cleveland. He is 9-0 with a 2.61 ERA against the Indians since losing to them on Aug. 17, 2007, when he was with Tampa Bay.

"I don't know the reason," Jackson said. "This was just one of those days. It was fantastic to get runs that way. A couple mistakes by their defense helped us."

Adam Dunn lofted a pitch from Justin Masterson (8-7) to straightaway center with two outs in the sixth and runners on first and second. Carrera, in center for Cleveland with former Gold Glove winner Grady Sizemore on the disabled list, got under the towering fly. He looked up, stumbled to his right, then ducked as the ball glanced off his glove and fell to the ground.

"I stumbled a little bit when I reached the warning track," Carrera said through an interpreter. "I was right underneath it, but when I stumbled, my head moved a little bit and I lost sight of it. I thought I was in the right spot. I just missed it. "

It put Chicago ahead 3-1, scoring Omar Vizquel, who had singled, and Paul Konerko, who was intentionally walked to face Dunn, hitting .161.

"I hit it good, well at least OK," Dunn said. "I haven't hit one in so long, I've forgotten what it feels like. When I saw him camped under it, I figured that was that. We got a break."

Vizquel was sympathetic to his fellow Venezuelan, saying the play was tougher than it looked.

"Actually, I wasn't shocked," said the 11-time Gold Glove winning infielder. "It was a tough play where he had to turn and go back. He took his eyes off the ball when he was in position. I think the sun had a little to do with it."

Guillen said he immediately flashed back to the 2005 AL Central race, when the White Sox held off Cleveland and went on to win the World Series. Sizemore dropped a fly ball in the sun in a game in Kansas City to help Chicago's cause in the final week.

Sergio Santos got the final two outs for his 20th save in 23 chances.

Jesse Crain, Chris Sale and Santos pitched three hitless innings of relief. Crain worked the seventh, Sale struck out the side on 12 pitches in the eighth and got the first out in the ninth. Santos issued a walk before closing it out.

Chicago, 38-29 since May 7, moved within two games of .500 and will host AL Central leading Detroit in a three-game series starting Monday. Cleveland has lost four straight and nine of 13. The Indians now lead the third-place White Sox by only 2½ games.

"It's crazy sometimes," Guillen said of Chicago's 6-1 record against the Indians. "If not for us, Minnesota (7-1 against the White Sox) is out of the race. Some teams beat others. Who knows why?"

The Indians got one run back in their sixth. Asdrubal Cabrera walked and took off for second before Travis Hafner lined a ball to right-center. Cabrera never stopped, scoring all the way from first on the hard-hit single to make it 3-2.

Two more Cleveland errors restored Chicago's two-run lead in the seventh. Alex Rios reached when Cabrera backed up on his soft liner, which bounced on the infield dirt and then off the shortstop's glove. Rios stole second and continued to third when catcher Carlos Santana threw wildly. Mark Teahen broke an 0 for 12 skid with an RBI single to make it 4-2.

Chicago took a 1-0 lead in the first on a groundout by Konerko, but Cleveland tied it in the fifth on Carrera's two-out line single to right.

Masterson allowed one earned run and four hits over seven innings. The right-hander walked only one and struck out six. He is 1-2 with a 1.23 ERA against the White Sox this season.

Game notes
Fans gave Carrera a loud cheer when he caught a simple fly ball hit by Pierre in the eighth. ... The Indians have scored two runs or fewer in 10 of Masterson's 21 starts. He is 1-5 in those starts. ... Masterson has allowed six earned runs in his last 44 1/3 innings, a 1.22 ERA. ... Guillen said that RHP Philip Humber will work out of the bullpen until an extra starter is needed. Guillen wants to keeps LHPs Mark Buehrle and John Danks and RHP Jake Peavy sharp and will start those three in order against Detroit. ... Santos has not allowed an unearned run in 21 road relief outings this year. ... Pierre has hit .367 (33-for-90) in his last 22 games.

From Tampa sources:
BTW Upton makes 4.8 M this year and expects a raise.

TampaSportsGuy » Rays » B.J. Upton Needs To Be Moved

B.J. Upton Needs To Be Moved

July 24th, 2011 | Add a Comment

After the Rays called up Desmond Jennings it appeared likely that B.J. Upton will be traded before the deadline. The center fielder looked very unmotivated in his 0-4 performance yesterday against the Royals, while Jennings had a spectacular night in his first game as a Ray this season.

Jennings, who turns 25 in three months, went 2-3 with an RBI and two walks. In his first at bat he tripled causing excitement throughout the Rays community hoping that he will keep it up. He followed with a double which brought in a run before being intentionally walked his third time up, which he responded to by stealing second. He followed by walking on four pitches in his fourth at bat, and striking out his last time up. Overall it was a great entrance by a player that the Rays hope will have a great impact on the club, just like Carl Crawford did for several years.

B.J. Upton on the other hand, went 0-4 with a walk and two strikeouts. Maybe he knows that his days in Tampa are coming to an end. Reports have indicated that more teams have been asking for Upton with the price of both Carlos Beltran of the Mets and Hunter Pence of the Astros being very high. There are several teams looking to add an outfielder to make a push in the playoffs, but teams don’t want to give up high tier prospects for a rental player. Upton on the other hand won’t take as much to acquire as Beltran or Pence, making him a valuable target for teams.

It’s kind of sad that one of the remaining players of the World Series run is probably going to be moved, but it’s for the better of the team. It doesn’t appear likely that the Rays will be back into the playoff race this year and the Rays won’t resign Upton in the off-season. He is going to want money that the Rays can’t give him and fans have realized that all year. Upton could get the Rays valuable prospects which will go into making them a contender in the next few years. It also allows Brandon Guyer to be called up who is hungry to join the Rays permanently after several call-ups throughout the season.

Acta says team looking at future

By Sheldon Ocker
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published: July 24, 2011 - 07:49 PM

It’s hardly a secret that General Manager Chris Antonetti is trying to acquire a hitter (or two) before Sunday’s trading deadline.

“We’re trying very hard to get the right guy in here ­— or guys,’’ manager Manny Acta said. “I’m not here to make the playoffs this year, then lose for five years. I want people to get excited about this team for years to come.’’

That sounds as if Antonetti’s target(s) are players who can be part of the club for multiple seasons rather than a two-month rental period.

“If we’re going to give up some of our best guys [prospects],’’ Acta said, “then we want someone who we can control for some time.’’

Acta then addressed the zeal with which the front office is pursuing a deal.

“When the truth comes out, people will be shocked and surprised at how much work is going into this,’’ he said. “The effort is there.’’

FASTBALLS ’R US ­— In his previous start, Justin Masterson threw only one slider. The rest were fastballs.

Was it the same story Sunday?

“I think I threw about two more sliders than last time,’’ he said. “I just try to mix and match and have some fun.’’

OTHER STUFF ­— The last time the Indians were only three games over .500 was April 8, when they were 5-2. … They are 1-6 against the White Sox and 15-16 against the Central Division. … The Tribe has lost five in a row at home but still holds a 27-20 record at Progressive Field. … Masterson’s 2.57 ERA is sixth in the American League. … Joe Smith has a 0.59 ERA in his past 32 appearances (30· innings pitched).

FARM FACTS ­— Zach McAllister gave up three runs and seven hits in five innings, as Columbus lost 4-3 to Lehigh Valley. Chad Huffman hit his 11th home run of the year. … Abner Abreu hit his 12th homer of the season, singled twice and drove in two runs, as Kinston defeated Wilmington 11-8. Anthony Gallas had two doubles and two RBI. … Joseph Colon (3-2, 3.55 ERA) gave up two runs and four hits in six innings, as Mahoning Valley beat Hudson Valley 7-4. Jordan Smith doubled twice and had three RBI.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

And "it ain't over til it's over"

A nod to Berra.

I do think a deal will be struck, before it's all over. But (like everyone), I am getting impatient.

I would rather not see a deal at this time if it is going to cost Hagadone.

Actually Travis Buck could possibly put up numbers equal to Ludwick or Willingham.

Upton makes no sense at all.

Once again the Indians are trying to "buy" a player instead of an actual top prospect trade.

Deadline deal will not help Indians now, or in future

Monday, July 25, 2011 03:07 AM

BY BOB HUNTER

The Columbus Dispatch

CLEVELAND - With the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline bearing down on the Cleveland Indians like a heat-seeking missile, the Tribe lost in ugly fashion again yesterday.

They committed three errors, including a disastrous drop by Ezequiel Carrera on the warning track in center field in the sixth inning that cost them two runs and the game. And they didn't hit, as usual.

If this hadn't been their fourth loss in a row, if they hadn't been playing sub-.500 ball for a couple of months, if they weren't missing key players who are going to stay missing for a while, this one wouldn't have seemed so bad. But the evidence is building that this team is probably going to keep falling in the standings from here to eternity.

Everybody wants the team to make one of those trade-deadline deals that puts a contending team over the top, giving up a prospect or three for a rent-a-player who will win a couple of games with his bat or arm and then head somewhere else in October. Those deals don't always work - fact is, they often don't - but it is what most contending teams do and Tribe fans are worried the front office will blow the American League Central title because of its reluctance to part with some of their treasured prospects.

After the White Sox's 4-2 win, Tribe manager Manny Acta tried hard to reassure a crowd of reporters in his office that that isn't going to be the case this time.

"I think it hasn't been because of a lack of trying," he said. "I'm in the middle of everything and the truth will come out. We're trying very hard to get the right guy in here, or guys for that matter. I think if anything is going to happen, it's going to happen now, this week, because of the trade deadline. . . Everybody is trying to hold their guy until the last minute and see if somebody gets desperate."

At this point, "desperate" seems like a pretty good word to describe the Indians. The seven-game lead the Tribe held on May 23 is now a two-game deficit, and the Indians' lead over the third-place White Sox is down to 2 games. Everybody wants the Indians to be buyers at the trade deadline, wants them to get a hitter to bolster their anemic lineup, but unless Babe Ruth is available, it may be a futile gesture. Red flags are everywhere if we choose to see them.

Yes, the Indians started the season 30-15, but since then, they are 21-33. If you want to look at this another way, once that torrid start ended, they have played about the way they had been expected to play - they lost 93 games in 2010, remember? - before the season started.

The Indians have hung in there, but they have done it because they had a huge lead to squander and their division rivals haven't played well. With the lead gone, it may be unrealistic to think they will remain in the race no matter how mediocre their rivals are.

Grady Sizemore and Shin-Soo Choo, perhaps their two best players, are visible on Progressive Field murals amid the right-field seats, but they figure to have about as much impact on the team's pennant drive as their right-field mural mate, Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Lemon.

Their injuries are why Carrera and Travis Buck were starting in the outfield yesterday. It's also why trading top prospects for a player or players who are supposed to lift this precocious, young team over the top is starting to seem like a sucker's bet.

Acta was emphatic when asked if the front office might be thinking the Indians are missing too many key parts to be a serious contender.

"No way," Acta said. "The truth will come out and a lot of people will be shocked, surprised and quiet for a long time after they find out every effort that we put into it."

Well, maybe.

But will they be happy if the Indians trade a couple of players who end up being stars elsewhere for a guy who didn't even help Cleveland hold off the Minnesota Twins for third place in the division?

There's a first time for everything, I guess.
" I am not young enough to know everything."