Re: Minor Matters

One more post before I disappear:

CLE AA Clement, Ernie SS 5 2 3 1 .320 3 2B (3)
CLE AA Krieger, Tyler LF 5 2 4 3 .280
CLE AAA Bradley, Bobby 1B 2 2 1 1 .239 HR (2), 2 BB (5)
CLE AAA Chang, Yu SS 3 0 2 0 .249 2 BB (42) [let's try to finish over 250]
CLE AAA Haase, Eric C 5 0 0 0 .233
CLE AAA Mercado, Oscar CF 4 0 0 0 .170 SB (5) [he can run anyway]
CLE HiA Collins, Gavin C 4 2 2 2 .230 2B (19), HR (4) [more power anticipated]
CLE HiA Jones, Nolan 3B 4 1 2 1 .291 2B (5) [OPS well over 900]
CLE LoA Benson, Will RF 4 0 0 1 .169 [maybe he can cross the magic 170 mark?]
CLE LoA Palacios, Richie 2B 3 2 2 1 .300 3B (1), HR (2) [I'm thinking he may not be the typical college drafted 2nd baseman]
CLE MAJ Allen, Greg CF 3 0 2 1 .257 2B (5)
CLE R Gonzalez, Marcos SS 3 1 1 0 .318 SB (4), CS (4)
CLE R Kwan, Steven CF 3 0 1 0 .200 BB (6)
CLE R Naylor, Noah 3B 4 1 1 0 .294 3B (3)
CLE R Rodriguez, Johnathan RF 3 1 0 0 .289 BB (21)
CLE SS Freeman, Tyler SS 3 0 0 0 .376 [what a bum]
CLE MAJ Bieber, Shane 6.1 5 3 3 0 5 4.24 W (7-2)
CLE R Torres, Lenny 3.0 2 1 1 0 4 1.76

Thomas Pannone worked seven scoreless innings in the Blue Jays' 6-0 blanking of the Orioles on Wednesday.

Pannone had a no-hitter going until the top of the seventh inning, when Trey Mancini broke up the fun with a leadoff single to left field. That was the only hit allowed by the 24-year-old left-hander, who was making his first career major league start. He walked two and struck out three. Pannone has certainly earned another turn in the Blue Jays' rotation, but we probably won't see another performance like this.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Bowden:

Cleveland Indians
Grade: C-
Top 7 Prospects: 1. Triston McKenzie, RHP; 2. Nolan Jones, 3B; 3. Noah Naylor, C; 4. Sam Hentges, LHP; 5. Ethan Hankins, RHP; 6. Luis Oviedo, RHP; 7. Raynel Delgado, INF.

The Indians’ window to win a World Championship might just be limited to the next few years, which was the main reason they traded their top position prospect, Francisco Mejía, to the Padres for bullpen help. However, that deal, along with the promotion of top pitching prospect Shane Bieber to the majors, has left the Indians’ farm system the thinnest it’s been during the Chris Antonetti era.

Triston McKenzie becomes their top pitching prospect, with tremendous upside, and Nolan Jones, the Indians’ second-round pick in 2016, their top position player. Fortunately for the Tribe, both are having banner seasons.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

This is something I told you was coming earlier this summer, as soon as he was old enough.

-

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Indians announced Friday they have signed 16-year-old infielder Jose Baez Ramirez, younger brother of two-time All-Star Jose Ramirez, as an international free agent out of Bani in the Dominican Republic.

The club also inked infielder Henyer Gomez out of Loma de Cabrera in the Dominican as part of MLB's International signing period which runs through June 15, 2019. Ramirez and Gomez turned 16 on Aug. 30 and Aug. 26 respectively, thus becoming eligible to sign.

Jose Baez Ramirez is listed as a 5-foot-9, 146-pound switch-hitting infielder, while Gomez is listed at 5-7, 145. They will work out of the club's baseball academy in the Dominican.

Cleveland spent more than $5.5 million in July signing seven players including shortstops Gabriel Rodriguez, Junior Sanquintin and Angel Martinez.

At that time, the Indians also signed shortstop Jesus Lara from Venezuela, infielder Dayan Frias of Colombia and outfielders Sterling Romero of the Dominican Republic and Luis Osto of Venezuela.

I’ve been away a week and there have been two posts?

Nothing happened?
Nolan Jones isn’t nearing 300?
AZL teams didn’t lose in playoffs?
Nick Sandlin didn’t arrive in Akron?
Adam Scott didn’t reach Lynchburg?
No shutout start for McKenzie?
No promotion of Wilson Engelmann to M Valley?
Will Bensin didn’t close in on 180 while hitting his 20th homer?
Eric Haase didn’t reach 20 before his promotion?
Guess not

Good to see you are still around, Pat!

• Indians No. 22 prospect Will Benson hit pair of key home runs to help Class A Lake County battle back from a seven-run deficit and walk off Lansing, 10-9. Benson's first home run of the contest, a three-run shot with two outs in the sixth inning, put Lake County on the board, and he later connect on a two-run shot to spark a five-run, walk-off rally in the ninth. The multi-homer performance was the 20-year-old's third this season and gives him four bombs in his past three games. Overall, Benson has gone deep 22 times in 121 games in his first full season.

Indians Prospective @indiansPro
Indians (C) prospect Eric Haase has been promoted to Cleveland and will make his his MLB debut! Haase has back to back 20 HR seasons and is solid defensively. Promotion well deserved.

Few more highlights from yesterdays action ...

RubberDucks 6 Seawolves 4
Plesac 6(IP) 6H 2R 2ER 2BB 7SO

Hillcats 9 Red Sox 3 (Game 1)
Tully 7(IP) 5H 3R 2ER 1BB 3SO

Captains 10 Lugnuts 9
Benson 2-5 2R 2HR 5RBI

Miguel Jerez won the AZL MVP award. An Indians prospect has won it every other year of late.

2014 (1B) Bobby Bradley
2016 (OF) Oscar Gonzalez
2018 (OF) Miguel Jerez

The previous record for homers in an AZL season was 8. Jerez had 7 in August alone.

Yainer Diaz, Ruben Cardenas, and Brayan Rocchio all made postseason all star team.

https://2080baseball.com/spotlight/quentin-holmes/

Quentin Holmes
http://2080baseball.com/wp-content/uplo ... MLBCLE.png
Position: CF
Level: Rk
Affiliate: AZL Indians 2
League: Arizona League
Born: 07/07/1999 (Age: 19)
Height: 6'3''
Weight: 175
B/T: Right / Right
Acquired: 2nd Rd., 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft (CLE)
MiLB Page Link
2080 Video Link

Prospect Spotlight

High school hitters from cold weather states often are a slow burn from a developmental standpoint, and that’s exactly what Quentin Holmes has been. Selected with the 64th overall pick in 2017, he struggled through 41 games in the AZL after signing. He is repeating the league this summer, though a hamstring injury kept him out of action until late August.

Speed and defensive value are the calling cards, and they’re the parts of Holmes’ game that show up the most at the pro level right now. A wiry and athletic 6-foot-3 and 175 pounds, he has added noticeable strength since I last saw him and looks the part of a rangy big league outfielder. A double-plus runner, Holmes’ wheels show up in centerfield. He’s a potential impact defender with above-average range and arm-strength, and I was impressed with the way his defense was a factor in games despite continued struggles at the plate. Holmes is still a near bottom-scale hit tool guy, and while I wouldn’t fully close the book on the bat, he’s very raw at the plate and will take time to develop offensively. There isn’t much feel to hit and he really struggles against off-speed. Despite excellent athleticism, he’s off-balance after the swing and loses power by collapsing his back side. Holmes shows flashes of line drive pull power when he barrels it, but a long path that casts the bathead detracts from his ability to use the other field.

Holmes will take time, but if he can become even a passable hitter at the big league level, the defense and speed are good enough for a lesser everyday profile in center. He’s still just 19-years-old, and an argument can be made for projecting on the bat given his athleticism and lack of amateur reps as a high school hitter from New York. If he doesn’t turn a corner at the plate, the ceiling becomes more of a role player whose non-offensive tools fit a bench profile.

After a horrible start Mercado, who we got from Cardinals, has been much better of late. 10 for his last 30. 2-4 with 2 doubles last night.

Lovegrove threw 3 shutout innings for Clips.

Morgan with 5 great innings last night for Hillcats. 1 run, 8 K. He’s only won 1 game his last 10. Been inconsistent recently going back and forth.

Nolan Jones 2 hits last night. Hitting 307 in High A now.

Freeman had been slumping of late but broke out last night with a couple hits and a SB. Still hitting over .350