Re: General Discussion

The only bad news for the Indians so far comes in the top of the ninth, when Michael Bourn comes up lame in an attempt to steal second with one out. He limps to the dugout, as the trainers follow Bourn to the clubhouse.

Michael Bourn tells Matt Underwood that he felt his leg "tighten up" in the ninth inning, but that he's getting treatment tonight and is hoping to be able to play on Wednesday. He avoided describing the injury's location when Underwood asked about a hamstring.

The Tribe is gonna lose.

Maybe not tomorrow this post season. But soon.

Euphoria crashing down can be rough. Really rough.

As an example, I have a crock pot I purchased in 1996. It was purchased around the Day The Tribe was eliminated in the post season of that immediate post 1995 year. I cooked something creative as I expected The Tribe to Win, and then...they did not.

I had rented VHS tapes of "Leaving Las Vegas" and "A River Runs Through It" for what turned out to be a non celebratory moment that lasted more than four hours.

In the name of Sybil, how many personas does the one going by Rusty on occasion have around this place these days?

This team is a bunch of junk that the die have fallen well for.....to this point.

Our $25 million guys for NEXT season are still hitting less than .250.

How much of September can be attributed to the excellent use of the 40 man roster? How much of that 40 man roster that we only get to use 25 for the playoffs could be a problem?
Francona used about 30 of them. But especially down the stretch he didn't bring in Hagadone or Tomlin or Guilmet or even Carrasco; and Shoppach caught about 1 inning; and Kubel disappeared. I think he'll do OK with only a 7 man bullpen.

I'm getting anxious about the playoff roster. I keep checking who will be on about every two hours.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Joe has this thing about Ramirez.

And Lastoria thinks we will carry Carrasco, who was not bad at all when he worked out of the pen, but I think he had 1 inning during those last 10 days and I don't think he's ready for postseason work.

But I agree, there's not much to decide.

We have heard the big news that Kubel, Guilmet and Wood didn't make it.

The rules surrounding the Wild Card Game rosters even incentivize a significant turn away from standard operating procedure. The 25 man roster that will be set for Tuesday’s contest can be completely overhauled for the division series, so Tuesday’s roster only has to play on Tuesday. After that, the winner can go right back to a more normal construction for a best-of-five series. So, instead of carrying several starting pitchers who won’t actually pitch in that days game — as every team does in the regular season — the Wild Card participants can simply load up their bullpen for a war of match-ups.

Last year, for instance, the Cardinals carried 10 pitchers and 15 position players into the Wild Card Game, but 8 of those 10 pitchers were relievers. Kyle Lohse started for St. Louis, and then Lance Lynn was around if the game went extra innings, but their ability to omit three other starters from the game allowed them carry eight relievers and still have room for a designated pinch runner and extra bench depth. And I think you could even argue that a team like the Pirates might be better off punting one of those bench players — the Cardinals carried three catchers, for instance, which isn’t really necessary — and adding a ninth reliever, going with a 14/11 position player/pitcher split.

One of those 11 pitchers should be a starter held in reserve in case of extra innings, leaving the team with 10 pitchers that they actually want to use in the Wild Card Game. And with 10 arms available to get through nine innings, there’s simply no compelling reason to manage the game like a regular season affair.

I just read where Billy Hamilton will be playing post season baseball for the Reds. :D
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller