Re: Articles

rusty2 wrote:I think they are too. Just not sure they have a chance no matter what they offer and certainly think 4 years at 60 million is more then what he is worth.
How about 4 years at 56 mil? I admit that I am surprised he signed with us as well. Maybe we are underestimating the influence of Terry Francona? And, as you say, the Indians have to overpay to get players to sign, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Perfect storm. Cleveland has to overpay to get FAs, and Swisher was happy to receive that.

Yet, with Swisher's roots both geographically and with Francona, coming to Cleveland wasn't necessarily the negative most players would see it as.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Well, since in my view Swisher's salary slot was in effect Pronk's former salary slot, that is a large upgrade. Swisher can play the field, he is a switch hitter. He plays 150 games per year. Huge.

Stubbs is at least a large defensive upgrade in center field and allows Brantley to move, and he shouldn't have had to be there in the first place. And Stubbs has large offensive potential - obviously it remains to be seen to what extent he fulfills that this year.

Mark Reynolds is a great defensive first baseman, so upgrade there. And with a full season of at bats he should hit 30+ homers. And he is right handed, along with Stubbs.

If Bauer comes through, even as a third or fourth starter, and Masterson and Ubaldo pitch even marginally better than last year, than clearly the pitching is better.

No one is a prophet, but the potential is there for a much better team, both now and in future years.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

If Bauer comes through, even as a third or fourth starter, and Masterson and Ubaldo pitch even marginally better than last year, than clearly the pitching is better.

That, I think, is the real key. I wish we had a better record of turning pitchers around, though.

TFIR wrote:Perfect storm. Cleveland has to overpay to get FAs, and Swisher was happy to receive that.

Yet, with Swisher's roots both geographically and with Francona, coming to Cleveland wasn't necessarily the negative most players would see it as.

I've written about the track record of players moving from bigger city teams or championship teams to Cleveland, occasionally strictly for the money, and promptly mailing it in or coming across as unhappy (Keith Hernandez, Kerry Wood, Walt Frazier in basketball, arguably Jack Morris fits here too). I would be concerned about this with Swisher, especially given that he's married to an actress...except for the fact that he's Ohio-born.

Of course, if we keep losing, he's going to be unhappy regardless.

I like the signing. The risk seems pretty minimal in the short run, and he will be able to move to first base eventually. Swisher isn't a great athlete, but he's more athletic now than Hafner was even as a rookie. Sure, there's a good chance he's going to be overpaid by the time he's 36, but that's going to happen when you sign free agents in their 30s (and it's going to be a risk for whoever ends up signing Choo, a very similar player to Swisher, next season). Besides, there's a lot of new money in baseball today. $70 million isn't what it used to be.

seagull wrote:
Agents do a good job of selling an inferior product to desperate suckers.The Skankees didn't want him back. Can't see a young guy like Swisher wanting to spend the next 4 years in Cleveland.
I stand by my statement. Probably didn't have another offer. Snookered again.

Well the cynical point of view is that both the Indians and Swisher miscalculated. The Indians were throughout their look good offer but unfortunately for Swisher no other team took the bait and the Indians and the player had to save face so he signed here.

Ken M ! Why don't you just admit that you were wrong ! How many times does that make in the last 3 months ? You have been wrong on just about every major question. Acta, Perez, Shapiro, Antonetti, Francona, and now Swisher.

Time to admit you do not know crap about the Indians !