Re: General Discussion

rusty2 wrote:Just another post from TFISC drowning his sorrows ! Let's all hope that he does not get rolled again tonight by local kids looking for an easy touch.
And your thoughts on ways and percentages this Cleveland Indians franchise might get to The World Series with the present front office are exactly what?

How and why might we win this year?

Next year?

Any of the next five years?

Details, and possible footnotes, on your hypotheses for Cleveland Indians winning soon for all of us to share, please?

I kind of like what the Indians are doing this off season. They traded Choo in his last year for a top of the rotation starting pitcher prospect and seem to be willing to spend some $$$. No good player wants to come to Cleveland which is understandable if he has good options elsewhere. I'd like to see us A) sign Cody Ross for RF at say 3yrs $25M. And I would try and extend Masterson. Beyond that I would trade Perez, Pestano and/or A Cab for top of the rotation starting pitcher prospects which I think is exactly what the Indians are trying to do. If no one bites keep'em.

Hey joe, I'd take a shot at Soriano for 2 yrs and put him in LF if the Cubs paid most of the remaining contract. Something like Kluber and Joe Smith for Soriano??? You???

More moves coming but a better off season than the last few in my mind....

Lots of stats to look at. Personally the only offensive stat I care about is OPS. Indians had ONE player with an OPS of .800 in 2012, Choo. Looking at 2013 I think Brantley, Kipness, A Cab (who I'd trade), Chiz, Reynolds, Santana all have a shot at hitting .800 (All were well up in the 700s last year and are young improving players except Reynolds who is a career 800 guy). I could care less who we sign for RF as long as he is an .800 OPS guy....

I'd platoon LaPorta and McGuiness at DH and keep Federoff as my 4th OF. Gomes beats out Marson as the backup Catcher. Offense in 2013 is going to be a lot better. Bauer, McAlister and a healthy Carrasco will be a much improved back end of the rotation. The pen is outstanding. Bottom line, it comes down to Masterson and Jimenez. Not good :) Summary: Trade A Cab and Pestano or Perez for starting pitching!

Ok sea give me the pessimistic view, Lou what's the middle of the road view?

Like it or not folks Dolan is one heck of a good businessman.....

Frank

Ask me at the end of ST what I see for the team.

Last year, despite all the rose-colored predictions, I hit the 68 victories right on the button.

Antonetti has to pull a lot more triggers to improve this sorry lot.

Bauer has to grow up and play nice with his teammates and coaches. If they try to change his routine, he'll rebel and we'll end up with another Phillips situation.

Maybe Francona is the biggest key to Tribe improvement.
Last edited by seagull on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey joe, I'd take a shot at Soriano for 2 yrs and put him in LF if the Cubs paid most of the remaining contract. Something like Kluber and Joe Smith for Soriano??? You???
Soriano works for me Frank.

However......Soriano is reportedly looking for a four-year deal worth $60 million this offseason. Do you want to deal with Boros? I read recently that Soriano may want to stay put in New York. The Tigers seem to be interested. Lot of hills to climb.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

fkreutz wrote:
I'd platoon LaPorta and McGuiness at DH and keep Federoff as my 4th OF. Gomes beats out Marson as the backup Catcher. Offense in 2013 is going to be a lot better. Bauer, McAlister and a healthy Carrasco will be a much improved back end of the rotation. The pen is outstanding. Bottom line, it comes down to Masterson and Jimenez. Not good :) Summary: Trade A Cab and Pestano or Perez for starting pitching!

Ok sea give me the pessimistic view, Lou what's the middle of the road view?

Like it or not folks Dolan is one heck of a good businessman.....

They don't give parades for being a good businessman.

As for the LaPorta/McGuinness idea, I can't imagine the Indians are going to platoon two first basemen at DH, and have a third first baseman in the starting lineup. Unless you plan on having three outfielders playing every inning of every game, I don't think you can make that work. Rent-a-bat seems to be the way to go there. It might not be a bad idea to give Fedroff some ABs there also.

I'll buy that the offense will be a lot better once I see who is going to be in right field. I'm not against the Choo trade, but as of 12/15, we've replaced our best hitter with a black hole.

I would sign Manny Ramirez to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. Clearly a low risk high reward deal. I also think Manny will bring some additional fans to the ball park. Give Manny a shot at that DH position.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Depending on how Fedroff works out this spring, possibly a platoon system with Manny and Fedroff. At least it won't cost Dolan an arm and a leg.
-- Bob Feller

The longer Bourn waits, I'm hoping his asking price falls. I really would like to add Bourn to the fold.
-- Bob Feller