Re: Articles

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

There is a high expectation among execs that CWS will be team awarded claim to Jim Thome. What's unknown: Whether a deal can be worked out.
6 minutes ago
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

To finish JR's article

High demand for Jim Thome
August, 23, 2011
Aug 23

It was only about 20 months ago that Jim Thome was struggling to find a job, to find more at-bats in his pursuit of his 600th homer, and when he did eventually sign with the Minnesota Twins, he wasn't promised playing time. But over the next eight days, he might be the most coveted player in the majors; he's already the subject of a whole lot of discussion in executive circles that has nothing to do with his 600-homer milestone.

Thome was placed on waivers by the Twins on Monday, and presumably, there will be many teams placing a claim on him. Travis Hafner may not play again this season, after being placed on the disabled list Monday, and so the Indians would be a natural fit for Thome, at DH. The White Sox could place a claim on Thome to block him from getting to the Indians. The Blue Jays could place a claim on Thome, in their never-ending quest to collect draft picks; if Thome were to play in 2012, it's possible that he would be worthy of draft-pick compensation this winter, and as we know, Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos loves draft picks the way a 10-year-old loves M&M's.

Texas, which tried to sign Thome in the offseason, could claim the slugger, who would cost only $600,000 for the rest of the season. The Yankees could plug Thome in as their left-handed designated hitter. Virtually every NL team could use someone like Thome coming off the bench, given his power and high on-base percentage: He'd fit San Francisco, Arizona, Milwaukee, the Cardinals and the Phillies in this way. The Braves have Eric Hinske but presumably will place a claim to make sure that Thome never reaches the Phillies in the waiver process.

So sometime in the next 72 hours, the Twins will have the choice of either dealing Thome to the team that's awarded the claim, or withdrawing him from waivers.

But after that, there is a very interesting possibility -- which already is the subject of conversation and debate among some executives around the majors.

Thome has never been part of a championship team, despite coming very close with the 1997 Indians. He has a strong relationship with the manager of one of the current World Series favorites -- Charlie Manuel, he of the Phillies, and formerly of the Indians.

If the Twins don't make a waiver deal with Thome this week, what they could do, after withdrawing him from waivers, is to place him on a different type of waivers -- release waivers. Thome would presumably be claimed by all the teams that will claim him on waivers. But because Thome has the contractual right to veto a trade, he could reject the claim, walk away from his current contract and become a free agent -- and then sign with the Phillies, or any other team.

And if he lands with the Phillies, you can book this: There will be howls of protests from other teams, and a lot of scrutiny, perhaps even from the commissioner's office.

The waiver process is designed to give the worst teams first access to players, and some executives believe that for Thome to land with the Phillies would require machinations that would be beyond the bounds of fair play. "That wouldn't be within the spirit of the rules at all," said one GM.

Some executives believe there would be questions of collusion: In order for the Twins to make a deal for Philadelphia happen, they would have to feel out Thome on what he wants. "And if they know he wants to go to Philadelphia, they would have to make that deal in exclusion of other teams," said one baseball lawyer. "That's a problem. The commissioner's office doesn't want a precedent where one team is effectively using a rules loophole to deliver a player to another team after the trade deadline."

In other words: If Thome wound up with the Phillies through the circumvention of the waiver process, would this become standard operating procedure for other veterans? Would they have language built into their contracts that would allow them to become free agents late in the season, in this manner, as part of their effort to win a championship?

"I don't know what the commissioner's office would say about it," said an NL GM. "But I know there would be a lot of complaints from other teams."

Said an AL GM: "There would be a lot of talk -- but I don't know whether [baseball officials] would actually have the grounds to step in and prevent it from happening."

Other questions raised by rival executives: Would the Twins, who have a reputation for being among the most above-board, rule-abiding teams in the majors, participate in that kind of thing, rather than simply keep Thome for the rest of the season? And would Thome -- deferential by nature -- even ask Minnesota to veer through the rules to make a Philadelphia reunion happen?

We'll see.

Thome isn't saying what he wants, as Joe Christensen writes.

Grady Sizemore could be back soon for the Indians.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Thanks for posting the "exclusive" content, TFIR.
And, as Olney says, it would open a real can of worms if Thome is allowed to pick and choose his team now:

If Thome wound up with the Phillies through the circumvention of the waiver process, would this become standard operating procedure for other veterans? Would they have language built into their contracts that would allow them to become free agents late in the season, in this manner, as part of their effort to win a championship?

Just as well we didn't get him...

Pirates put Ludwick on DL

The Pittsburgh Pirates placed outfielder Ryan Ludwick on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to August 23, on Wednesday.

Ludwick, who was acquired from San Diego at the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31, is suffering from muscle spasms in his mid-back.

In his 21 games since coming to Pittsburgh, he is batting .262 with a home run and seven RBI.

Both of Pittsburgh's big acquisitions at or near the trade deadline are now on the DL as Derrek Lee, who was picked up from Baltimore on July 30, has been on the DL retroactively since August 10 with a broken left wrist.

To take Ludwick's spot on the roster, the Pirates selected the contract of pitcher Aaron Thompson from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/24/385869 ... z1VyYo0bAW

FOX Sports North >> Report: Thome and Kubel claimed off waivers buzztap.com/-x8Frgk
58 minutes ago

fsnorth FOX Sports North
Report: Thome and Kubel claimed off waivers foxsportsnorth.com/08/24/11/Repor…
1 hour ago

CavsWITNESS Eric Knappenberger
We need a walk-off trade... RT @DugoutSportShow: #Indians working on some sort of deal. Either for Thome, Kubel, Pena, but I'm told Thome.
1 hour ago

DugoutSportShow Glenn Moore
I'm hearing White Sox claimed Jason Kubel, not Jim Thome. #Indians are working on a deal for Thome.
2 hours ago

Hearing #Indians are working on a deal to get Jim Thome. Following up on this as we speak.
2 hours ago

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla
White Sox blog: Rumors intensify of White Sox/Thome claim es.pn/qD3ZpH
3 hours ago

MyFOX9 FOX 9 News
Report: Jim Thome, Jason Kubel claimed on waivers es.pn/p40NsY
3 hours ago

hoynsie paul hoynes
ESPN's Buster Olney reporting Jim Thome and Jason Kubel claimed on waivers. Teams not known, but #Indians probably 1 of them.
3 hours ago

PMac21 Phil Mackey
RT @Buster_ESPN: As expected, Jim Thome, Jason Kubel and Heath Bell have all been claimed. It remains to be seen who claimed them.
4 hours ago

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
As expected, Jim Thome, Jason Kubel and Heath Bell have all been claimed. It remains to be seen who claimed them.
4 hours ago

But the chisox had the higher waiver ranking if I am not mistaken.

Ludwick, who was acquired from San Diego at the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31, is suffering from muscle spasms in his mid-back.

In his 21 games since coming to Pittsburgh, he is batting .262 with a home run and seven RBI

Well, that wouldn't have helped much.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
by newsheraldjah@
@newsheraldjah @BrianOliger @JustinBarasky Yes, officially, we know he was claimed. I just don't know which team.
16 minutes ago

newsheraldjah John A. Hutchison
@
@BrianOliger @JustinBarasky @Buster_ESPN Nothing I've seen or heard is official on the Thome waiver claim.
18 minutes ago

hoynsie paul hoynes
#Indians put in a claim on Jim Thome on Wednesday. The White Sox may have as well.
2 hours ago

RuiterWrong Daryl Ruiter
If rumors/reports are accurate #Indians win waiver claim on Jim Thome; deal needs 2 be worked out; would sell a few tix & help offense too
40 minutes ago

Pedro Gomez of ESPN CONFIRMS what I have been saying all evening. White Sox did not claim Thome. Indians claimed him. Deal being worked on.
42 minutes ago

TonyIPI Tony Lastoria
Lots of tweeters mentioning that Pedro Gomez just said in White Sox game that they did not put in a claim for Thome.
53 minutes ago

TonyZ19 Tony Zarrella
Indians put in a claim on Thome. Stay tuned
1 hour ago

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
If CWS made a claim on Thome to block CLE, it would only be logicial for them to claim Kubel, as well. We'll see if that's what happened.

TonyIPI Tony Lastoria
Continuing the speculation...if #Indians pick up Thome, I would think the roster move would be to place Hafner on 60-day DL.

TonyIPI Tony Lastoria
#Indians dont play again until Friday night with off day tomorrow. Thome could be in town by then if claim rumors are true & deal reached.
47 minutes ago

TonyIPI Tony Lastoria
If Gomez is right, then the Indians have 48 and a half hours to complete a deal with the Twins to bring Thome back to Cleveland.
56 minutes ago

By: Andy Baskin, newsnet5.com

Multiple sources have reported the Indians did put a claim in for the Tribe's all-time home run king Jim Thome on Wednesday. Reports said Thome was placed on waivers on Monday by the Twins.
ESPN also reported the Chicago White Sox did not put a claim in on Thome. Chicago could have blocked the Indians from getting Thome back, because the White Sox record was worse than the Indians when he was placed on waivers.

If the Indians did get the claim. They would have 48 hours to strike a deal with Minnesota or the Twins could pull Thome back.

Because the process is supposed to be confidental, we can not be sure that the Indians won the claim on the slugger. If a team with a record below the Indians submitted a claim for Thome, then that team would have the first chance to get a deal done.

The Indians need a designated hitter because Travis Hafner is injured with a strained tendon on the bottom of his right foot. He could be out for the season.

The Indians are currently 6 games behind the Tigers for first place in the American League central.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/base ... z1W0oBBb9z