Re: SPRING TRAINING 2012!

Another beautiful day in the valley.

Another pitiful display by the Tribe's big bats.

No daylight savings time here so tomorrow we'll be 3 hrs behind Eastern time.

Maybe the Tribe will "spring forward".

Matt LaMarte is still o for Spring Training. Glad he worked all winter on his swing.

I like Felix Pie and Jose Lopez. I'd like to see them added to the bench squad.

LaPorta appears to be the same LaPorta of old. The best move over the winter was acquiring Casey Kotchman. Big upgrade at firstbase.

Cespedes had 8 hits including two homers in his three simulated games. He got his first major league start today, he walked, hit a sharp liner up the middle for an rbi single, fouled off a half dozen pitches before lining one over the fence in left. I guess we felt more comfortable with Grady Sizemore and Michael Brantley in centerfield. I don't know what our scouts were looking at when Cespedes had that personal workout for us. Hopefully we didn't miss out on a major opportunity.

A lot of AAAA players in camp. Good luck weeding them out for the final three bench spots. My odds on favorites as i've mentioned are Pie and Lopez.

Otherwise, it's been a rather lacklustre spring training. Attendance-wise, I've seen larger crowds at the single "A" ballparks.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

seagull wrote:Another beautiful day in the valley.
Not baseball related (go figure), but this evening I watched a regular PBS Show I tune into regularly.

Huell Howser's, California Gold. It's a 60 year old or so former Marine from Tennessee with still a strong Southern accent who travels around usually just California to catch interesting people and sites.

On tonight's airing, originally filmed in 2006, he ventured over the state line to Tucson AZ. He rationalized his state line crossing mentioning there was stuff in Tucson he always wanted to see.

He went to the old Titan missile site a little south of Tucson for a really cool tour that is open to the public completely, at least on certain days of the month.

He also checked out the airplane boneyard, as well as the Air Museum across the street that shows the last prop driven Air Force One, and the plane that brought the hostages back from Iran in 1981.

He also checked out some Sonoran Mexican food at El Minuto Cafe and recommended the Carne Seca which apparently is not widely offered in Latin dining.

http://elminutocafe.com/?p=42

The show made me hungry, and ready for a road trip.

joez wrote: Cespedes had 8 hits including two homers in his three simulated games. He got his first major league start today, he walked, hit a sharp liner up the middle for an rbi single, fouled off a half dozen pitches before lining one over the fence in left. I guess we felt more comfortable with Grady Sizemore and Michael Brantley in centerfield. I don't know what our scouts were looking at when Cespedes had that personal workout for us. Hopefully we didn't miss out on a major opportunity.

Bartolo Colon pitched well today for the A's, as well.

I'm still and always will be a bleeding Cleveland Indians Fan, but do admit I'm looking forward to possibly watching Colon, Manny Ramirez and Cespedes out here in 2012.

I have tickets for all The Tribe games here in April, but of course Manny being Manny will not be available for play or autographs until a few weeks later.

Hi Gang!

I'm still here. I must admit that since the both the Tribe and local politicians sold out and decided to leave Winter Haven, my interest in Spring Training has waned drastically. Sports in general mean little more to me than entertainment. Where I used to have an emotional attachment to Cleveland teams, I now just want to see good, well played, games, regardless of the sport or team. I am also not a fan of the new forum layout. Too bad World Crossing went under. I am not sure if this post is even going to go where I would like it! LOL ... I guess I need to post more than once every 6-8 months! I hope everyone is in good health and prospering. I'll try to make it here more often!

Gotta give Huff a mulligan today. That was an extraordinarily strong lineup he faced today.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Great to hear from you again Steve.

My wife and sister-in-law and possibly my daughter will be staying a week at Belleair Beach again. My thoughts were on Lenny's when they were making their plans.

I won't be making the trip. Our company is booming and I can't get that much time off. We're booked all of this year and the early part of 2013. We've got conveyor systems going to Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Canada, China, and Singapore. We may be getting a couple of more for Houston and Lufkin Texas. The president of the company is in Tampa for Hazmat meetings relating to the jobs headed for Saudia Arabia.

Well! Take care!
-- Bob Feller

Got agree with Joe. Can't diss Huff just because he can't retire major league hitters

Code: Select all

CLEVELAND (2) AT LA ANGELS (17)

CLEVELAND        AB  R  H BI  LA ANGELS        AB  R  H BI
 E Carrera CF      5  0  0  0  E Aybar SS        4  1  2  1 
 J Kipnis 2B       3  0  1  0  D Perez SS        2  1  0  0 
 C Phelps 2B       1  0  0  0  H Kendrick 2B     4  2  3  1 
 A Cabrera SS      3  0  0  0  T Lindsey 2B      2  1  1  0 
 J Diaz SS         1  0  0  0  A Pujols 1B       2  2  1  2 
 T Hafner DH       3  1  2  1  T Witherspoon CF  2  1  1  1 
 N Weglarz DH      1  0  0  0  T Hunter RF       3  1  1  2 
 R Spilborghs RF   4  1  1  0  M Long RF-LF      2  1  1  1 
 M LaPorta 1B      4  0  2  0  V Wells CF        4  2  2  5 
 F Lewis LF        2  0  0  0  F Hall 1B         1  0  0  0 
 T Crowe LF        1  0  1  0  M Trumbo DH       4  1  3  2 
 J Hannahan 3B     3  0  0  1  R Mount DH        1  0  0  0 
 T Neal PH         1  0  0  0  H Conger C        4  0  1  0 
 L Marson C        2  0  1  0  J Bandy C         1  0  1  0 
 L Carlin C        0  0  0  0  J Cantu 3B        4  0  2  1 
                               K Cowart 3B       1  1  0  0 
                               R Langerhans LF   2  2  1  0 
                               A Castillo RF     1  1  0  0 
 TOTALS           34  2  8  2  TOTALS           44 17 20 16

CLEVELAND                 000 200 000 --  2
 LA ANGELS                 410 363 00x -- 17

E--J Hannahan, A Cabrera, R Spilborghs. 
 DP--CLEVELAND 1, LA ANGELS 1. LOB--CLEVELAND 8, LA
 ANGELS 8. 2B--H Kendrick, T Crowe. 3B--E Aybar. 
 SB--J Kipnis 1 (1). SF--A Pujols.
                                   IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
  CLEVELAND
 D Huff (L,1-1)                     3   7   5   4   1   2   0
 C Ray                              1   4   3   3   1   1   0
 D Salazar                        2-3   3   6   2   2   0   2
 B Price                            1   4   3   2   0   1   0
 C Seddon                       2 1-3   2   0   0   0   6   0
  LA ANGELS
 G Richards (W,2-0)                 3   3   0   0   0   0   0
 S Downs                          1-3   3   2   2   0   0   1
 E McKiernan                      2-3   0   0   0   1   1   0
 J Walden                           1   1   0   0   0   0   0
 E Hurley                           3   0   0   0   0   4   0
 R Brasier                          1   1   0   0   1   1   0

WP--D Salazar, C Seddon. HBP--F Lewis by S Downs.
 SO--CLE: E Carrera 2, M LaPorta, N Weglarz, F 
 Lewis, R Spilborghs. LAA: D Perez 2, R Langerhans,
 R Mount, H Conger, F Hall, K Cowart, T 
 Witherspoon, J Cantu, A Castillo. BB--CLE: L 
 Marson, L Carlin. LAA: R Langerhans 2, T Hunter, A
 Pujols. T--3:17. A--8,304.