Re: Articles

CLEVELAND: Matt LaPorta appears to be almost ready to play baseball somewhere.

It’s been 18 days since he went on the disabled list with a high ankle sprain, but he’s been taking batting practice and did some running Monday.

“It looked like everything was good during his workout,’’ manager Manny Acta said. “He swung the bat and ran the bases. He’ll do the same thing tomorrow, and then we’ll make a decision on whether he needs to go on a rehab assignment. If he doesn’t, he’ll be activated [Wednesday].’’

CARMONA UPDATE — Fausto Carmona underwent an MRI scan Monday that showed he had a mild sprain of the right quad, as expected.

He went on the disabled list Sunday, and there was nothing in the results of the MRI that caused Tribe officials to believe he would return sooner or later than the 15-day term of the DL.

ALL INDICATIONS — It appears that the Tribe will call up Zach McAllister from Columbus to take Fausto Carmona’s start against the Blue Jays on Thursday night.

McAllister (8-3, 2.97 ERA) will have five days’ rest and is already on the 40-man roster.

Indians enjoy epic win
Tomlin, Kearns heroes as Yankees are beaten

By Sheldon Ocker
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: July 5, 2011 - 02:38 AM

CLEVELAND: As Nick Swisher turned to watch Austin Kearns’ drive sail over his head into the right-field seats, a roar went up from the crowd, drowning out several thousand Yankee fans at Progressive Field.

It was a Cleveland crowd, a throng that will remember this Fourth of July game for a long while. In fact, like Len Barker’s perfect game 30 years ago, tens of thousands of fans will recall being there when only 7,000 were.

It was that kind of epic (if the Indians beat the Yankees, it’s epic), when a kid pitcher threw a no-hitter for six innings, and a guy with two RBI all season homered to drive in three to kick-start the 6-3 win.

So it was more than postgame fireworks that roused the sellout crowd of 40,676. First, there was the fine-tuned workmanship of Josh Tomlin, who did not give up a hit until Mark Teixeira lined a single to center to lead off the seventh.

It has become automatic, but it’s still worth noting that Tomlin extended his streak of five-inning-plus appearances to 29. No other pitcher in history (records go back to only 1919) has equaled that number at the start of a career.

But if not for Austin Kearns, Tomlin would have been denied the win. Tomlin left after the seventh, having allowed two runs on three hits in the inning and the Tribe having yet to score.

“It was a great ballgame,’’ manager Manny Acta said. “Tomlin deserved that.…He continues to amaze everybody. He doesn’t back down from anyone.’’

Derek Jeter led off the game with a slow ground ball toward third that Lonnie Chisenhall turned into an error. Then Tomlin walked Curtis Granderson, the last Yankee to reach base until Teixeira broke up the no-hitter. In between, Tomlin retired 18 batters in a row.

“I knew what was going on,’’ Tomlin said. “But I wasn’t thinking that I had to keep no-hitting them. They have a great lineup. Like in the seventh, I made a couple of mistakes and they put some runs up in a hurry.”

One out after Teixeira singled, Robinson Cano slapped a high, slow bouncer to third for New York ’s second hit, and Nick Swisher doubled to score both runners.

Ironically, it was two walks issued by A.J. Burnett preceding Kearns’ home run that gave the Tribe the lead in the seventh. Why ironic?

Because it has been the resolute determination of Tomlin not to walk batters that is one of the essential ingredients to his success. In eight of his 15 starts this season, Tomlin has walked none. In six others, he has walked one.

Tomlin’s command has been so good that he leads the major leagues with an average of 1.07 walks per nine innings. Right behind him is Roy Halladay with 1.12 walks per nine innings.

“That’s a big thing for me, because I don’t have the stuff he [Burnett] does,’’ Tomlin said. “I need to have the least amount of baserunners I can have.’’

Tomlin (10-4, 3.78 ERA) hasn’t pitched any better than this all year. Or has he? “I have no idea,’’ he said.

With the Indians trailing 2-0 in the bottom of the seventh, Grady Sizemore drew a one-out walk from Burnett, and Lonnie Chisenhall walked with two out. Shelley Duncan followed with a slicing single to right to score Sizemore and bring up Kearns.

Until Monday night, this was not a season to remember for Kearns, at least not a season he wanted to remember. He came into the game with a .196 batting average and no home runs, playing sporadically.

But in his first at-bat, he lifted a drive to left that was caught on the track. In the sixth, he hit a long fly to the right-field track. The wind had been blowing in all night, but Kearns caught Burnett’s 1-and-0 pitch in the seventh on the screws. Four levels of grandstand in right probably blocked the breeze, and the ball landed in the first few rows.

“I was just trying to have a good at-bat,’’ Kearns said. “The guys in front of me had good at-bats. This is a funny game. I haven’t really sniffed A.J. [in the past]. Tonight, for whatever reason, I had some good at-bats.’’

Kearns came into the game with one hit in nine career at-bats against Burnett. But the hit was a grand slam in Kearns’ rookie season of 2002, when he was with the Reds and Burnett pitched for the Marlins.

When a reporter added up the hits and RBI — two hits, seven RBI in 12 at-bats — Kearns was not impressed. “There are a lot of outs in there,’’ he said. “So there’s just no rhyme or reason.’’ Except Acta found one.

“We did what we’ve been able to do the whole season,’’ the manager said. “Find heroes.’’

Absolutely no one. His stuff was never good enough to be rated much of a prospect. Once he made the BA Indians Top Prospect list at about No. 25. Too many homeruns allowed. Certainly is not an imposing physical presence.

But one thing he always has been, when you look at these stats, is a winner:
Minor League career record of 51-24. Never a winning pct. below .600. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... mlin001jos
Last edited by civ ollilavad on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Surging Carrasco takes on Yanks again

Indians pitcher 'turned the corner' since last Yankees matchup

By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com | 07/05/11 11:50 AM ET

It's been almost a month since he last faced the Yankees, but Indians starter Carlos Carrasco can recount the game's details like it was played yesterday.

It was his first time to pitch at Yankee Stadium, so he was understandably a bit nervous. He was more anxious than scared, but there was no denying the butterflies in his stomach.

This was going to be his time to shine, he said. He wanted it. The Indians, coming off a four-game losing streak and in danger of losing the top spot in the American League Central, needed it. After Carrasco's Tribe went down in order in the top of the first inning, the pitcher took a breath and jogged out to mound.

Derek Jeter welcomed him with a single on his second pitch. Next, Carrasco went up 0-2 on Curtis Granderson, but the Yankees center fielder drove a changeup up the middle for another single. Mark Teixeira walked on five pitches to load the bases with no outs, with Alex Rodriguez up next.

Carrasco, 24, knew he would be challenged by the Yankees, but he didn't know the test would come this early in the game. He wouldn't realize until later that this inning would help define his season. Carrasco had a choice that day, and he chose to trust his ability. He chose to believe in himself.

Carrasco retired Rodriguez, Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher in order without allowing a run. He would go on to pitch six more shutout innings in the 1-0 Cleveland victory. He still talks about June 13 with pride -- and not just because he beat the Yankees. It's the day he gave the baseball world a glimpse into his psyche.

The young Venezuelan starter has coupled subtle changes to his delivery with big changes in his attitude -- and together, they have made all the difference in the world. The new-and-improved Carrasco will take on the Yankees again Tuesday at Progressive Field. CC Sabathia will take the hill for New York.

"The whole world tells me that I'm throwing with confidence, and they are right. They can see it, too." Carrasco said. "I'm feeling good right now. I've built this confidence. Think about what happened to me in 2009 and 2010 and now. I learned from that."

The right-hander has come a long way. Carrasco was acquired by the Indians with Jason Donald, catcher Lou Marson and right-hander Jason Knapp from Philadelphia in the trade for Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco at the Trade Deadline in 2009, and Carrasco admitted to putting too much pressure on himself when he arrived in the Cleveland organization. He went 0-4 with an 8.87 ERA in five starts for the Indians in 2009, and 2-2 with a 3.83 ERA in seven starts after his big league promotion last September.

This season, he's pitching like an ace. The right-hander is 4-1 with a 0.98 ERA in his last five starts and has not walked a batter in his last two outings. Overall, he's 8-4 with a 3.54 ERA this season. The Indians are 9-6 when he takes the mound.

"He's becoming what we hoped he would become -- a power pitcher," Cleveland pitching coach Tim Belcher said. "He's relying on his fastball more efficiently. Not that he's throwing an extraordinarily high number of fastballs, but he is challenging the strike zone with fastballs."

Carrasco credits his work with Belcher during bullpen sessions and a slight tweak in his mechanics for his recent success. The right-hander says he now rotates his torso just a tad during his windup, and it has allowed him increased control on all of his pitches.

"Right now, I'm throwing 90 to 93 mph with location, and it feels different, much better than throwing 95 to 96 mph," he said. "I'm back in the strike zone, and I have so much more control. I feel like I can throw my fastball, slider or curve in any count. I'm really confident."

Confidence is a big part of Carrasco's game, and he knows it. There were times last season when he would receive text messages from family and friends reminding him to stand up straight and walk tall around the mound. His close friends told him he looked timid and sometimes even scared.

Everyone wanted to know why Carrasco seemed so nervous on the mound.

Last year's texts have been replaced with congratulatory phone calls this year.

"He still is young and people forget that," Belcher said. "We want them to become men out there when they are not men yet. Fifteen or 20 years ago, you fight the battles and you get prepared in the Minors. But now, you get two or three years in the Minors and you're put in the big leagues. Guys like Carlos are still learning their craft and getting scarred at the Major League level, and those scars are deep. He has turned the corner."

Indians manager Manny Acta has been one of Carrasco's biggest supporters during the last two years, and he has high expectations for his young pitcher. The first-place Indians still lead the Tigers by 1 1/2 games in the AL Central standings, and the Tribe will need a strong full season from a group of pitchers that includes Carrasco if the club want to make it to the postseason.

"We look for a guy like him to give us that lift every five days, and keep us in the game and minimize the opponent's offense, because we know that without [Shin-Soo] Choo and with some of the other injuries that we are not a run-producing team. From Day 1, it's always been about a team effort. It continues to be that way. We rely a lot on our pitching."

And no, Acta said, he is not surprised to see Carrasco's perform so well on the mound lately. He's almost never surprised by his club.

"We always felt that we would be in this position," Acta said. "Everyone is free to think what they want and we respect their opinion, but we believe that we can be here. In order for us to keep doing what we are doing, we need everyone healthy and everyone to play up to their capabilities. We have some guys out, but you have to move forward. We need guys to pick up the slack."

The Indians need guys like Carlos Carrasco.
" I am not young enough to know everything."

Despite off year, Kearns has Acta's support

By Zack Meisel / MLB.com | 07/05/11 8:00 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- If Austin Kearns had been the recipient of criticism from fans unsatisfied with his sub-.200 batting average and lack of power, Tribe manager Manny Acta wasn't aware.

"People? Have they?" Acta questioned when asked if Kearns silenced fans' criticism and justified his roster spot on Monday night with a go-ahead three-run homer with two outs in the seventh inning of a 6-3 win over the Yankees. The long ball was the outfielder's first of the season.

Kearns entered Monday's contest batting .196 with just two RBIs in 102 at-bats. He left Monday's game a hero.

"It's not easy to be a bench player and get out there and play well," Acta said. "I'm not expecting to have guys on the bench hitting .330. They wouldn't be a bench player then. They would be playing every day."

Hoping to compete for playing time in an outfield crowded with Grady Sizemore, Shin-Soo Choo and Michael Brantley, Kearns signed a Minor League contract with the Indians before the 2010 campaign. Injuries to Sizemore and Choo provided Kearns with a nightly spot in the lineup last year.

This season, despite more injuries to Sizemore and Choo, Kearns hasn't been the beneficiary of a boosted at-bat total. He's struggled to adjust.

"The fact is, this guy had never been a bench player up until last year, when we traded him to the Yankees," Acta said. "Whoever comes here to be a fourth outfielder, if our three guys are healthy -- Choo, Brantley and Sizemore -- you are in to really ride some pine. ... I respect people's opinion, but I know this guy is a good player when he gets an opportunity to play."

Tribe expecting injured group back soon

CLEVELAND -- Bodies, new and old, healthy and ailing, continue to file in and out of the Indians' clubhouse.

Manager Manny Acta said the team would likely activate Matt LaPorta from the 15-day disabled list after Tuesday's contest against the Yankees. The first baseman has been sidelined since June 17, when he suffered a mild high ankle sprain while he was cornered during a rundown.

On Tuesday, LaPorta went through a second straight day of workouts that included batting practice, fielding grounders and running the bases.

Outfielder Travis Buck, out since Friday with a mild left hamstring strain, also could return on Wednesday.

"He went through a workout [Tuesday]," Acta said. "He looks pretty close. He's probably going to be available [Wednesday]."

Right-hander Fausto Carmona left his start on Saturday after two innings upon straining his right quadriceps while running -- or stumbling, or bellyflopping -- to first base. The Indians placed Carmona on the 15-day disabled list Sunday.

Carmona's replacement, who will pitch Thursday, was expected to be named after Tuesday's game. Carmona will benefit from the All-Star break next week, and he will be eligible to return from the DL on July 18. Acta said Carmona -- 4-10 with a 5.78 ERA -- will miss only one start.

Tribe evaluating market before deadline

CLEVELAND -- Parity is alive and kicking in the Major Leagues, as few teams have been booted out of the pennant chases. Twenty of baseball's 30 teams stood within eight games of their division lead entering play on Tuesday.

With such little separation between teams, it's difficult to identify buyers and sellers as the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline approaches.

"There are a lot of teams talking to each other, trying to align on fits," Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said. "But because there are a lot of teams still in contention and a lot of teams that are still competing, it's been a little bit of a slower-developing market."

Antonetti wouldn't specify on what the Indians are plotting, other than to say the team will explore opportunities to improve, especially on offense.

"Especially with [right fielder Shin-Soo] Choo suffering the injury that he suffered, I think we'll probably focus most of our efforts on improving our offense and getting a little more consistency there," Antonetti said.

Choo is expected to be sidelined until at least late August after having surgery to repair a broken thumb.

Quote to note

"[I'm] kind of stunned when he walks one. If he walks more than one, I'd want to blame the umpire."

-- Tribe skipper Manny Acta on Josh Tomlin's command, the day after the right-hander lost a no-hit bid against the Yankees in the seventh inning of a 6-3 win. Tomlin has walked just 13 batters in 109 2/3 innings and has walked the fewest batters per nine innings among all eligible Major League starters (1.1).

Smoke signals

• Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said that southpaw starter Drew Pomeranz -- 2-2 with a 2.06 ERA -- the club's first-round Draft pick in 2010, could be promoted soon from Class A Advanced Kinston.

"It's been a very good season for him," Antonetti said. "I think it's reasonable to say that at some point in the near future, he could be a candidate to move to [Double-A] Akron."

• Rookie starter Alex White was at Progressive Field throwing on Tuesday. Manager Manny Acta said White is making progress in his recovery from a sprained finger. Acta said the right-hander is "right on target."

"He will pitch again this year, unless he has a setback," Acta said of White.

• The Indians entered Tuesday's game with the best team relief ERA in the American League, at 3.02. The Yankees ranked second, at 3.03.

Chris Antonetti focusing on offense in potential deals
Published: Wednesday, July 06, 2011

By Jim Ingraham
JIngraham@News-Herald.com

The July 31 non-waiver trade deadline is 2½ weeks away, and Indians general manager Chris Antonetti is making, and taking, plenty of phone calls.

"Ownership has encouraged us to explore all our options for improving the team," said Antonetti. "We're open to anything that will help, but since the injury to (Shin-Soo) Choo, our focus has been on improving our offense."

At the start of play Tuesday, the Indians ranked 10th in the American League in hitting, seventh in runs scored, ninth in home runs, ninth in on-base percentage and ninth in slugging percentage.

Antonetti said the Indians will explore both internal and external options for improving the team.

"We have a number of guys internally, both pitchers and position players, who we feel can contribute at the big-league level," he said. "Our job now is to focus on identifying what external options are out there that might be a fit for us."

For the Indians to make a trade, the fit for the Indians would have to be two-fold.

"We would have to balance the cost to us in economics and in players, while also being mindful of the long-term expense of whoever we might bring in," said Antonetti.

While many observers are surprised the Indians are where they are in the standings now, Antonetti said it's full speed ahead in trying to win a division for the first time since 2007.

"We're in first place, and it's July. So we have an opportunity to compete to win the division," he said. "We'll do all we can to maximize this opportunity, while not losing sight of our long-term goals."

It would seem unlikely the Indians would be willing to part with their top prospects in a midseason trade. They haven't done that since John Hart was sitting in the general manager's chair more than 10 years ago.

But then again, you don't get a chance to win a division every year, so who knows?

"I think any general manager would be hard pressed to say any player in his organization is untouchable," said Antonetti. "You've got to be open-minded, although some players obviously would be more difficult to trade than others."

It's time for the Cleveland Indians to again shake up the infield: Terry Pluto

Published: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 1:25 AM Updated: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 1:26 AM

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

It's time for the Indians to once again change their infield.

Cord Phelps should be sent back to Class AAA Columbus, with the Indians promoting Jason Donald.
That's a move they can make right now. During next week's All-Star break, they can decide if it's time to turn second base over to Jason Kipnis.

This is not about blaming all the Tribe's recent defensive problems on Phelps -- or to say he's the reason the Tribe lost to the Yankees at Progressive Field on Tuesday night.

But All-Star Asdrubal Cabrera is dragging, having played all 84 games this season. He is battling a sore knee and tender ankle. He left Tuesday's game in the fourth inning.

Yes, veteran Orlando Cabrera played short for 16 years, but the Indians view him as a second baseman at age 36. He was at third Tuesday and dropped an over-the-shoulder catch on a tricky pop-up down the line. It was correctly scored a double, but a good third baseman makes the play. Orlando Cabrera never played that position until last month.

An average second baseman turns what should have been an inning-ending double play in the second inning. The bases were loaded when Yankee catcher Francisco Cervelli hit a grounder to Asdrubal Cabrera at short. He made an easy flip to Phelps at second for one out, but Phelps threw the ball to first in the dirt.
It was knocked down by Carlos Santana, so there was no error.

And also no double play.

And the poor throw led to four more New York runs. Carlos Carrasco lost his cool and began throwing batting practice after the mistake. So the pitcher is an innocent party in that five-run inning.

A middle infielder must catch the ball in the middle of a playoff race, and Phelps hasn't done that. Not with five errors in 11 games heading into Tuesday night. Phelps also was hitting only .200 before the game.
In his first exposure to the majors, it's obvious the 24-year-old Phelps is dealing with the jitters. He would have been cut from his high school team for the type of errors he has made.

The fact is I pushed for Phelps to be promoted from Columbus, partly because I believed he would be a solid second baseman. He had no errors at that spot in 13 games at Columbus -- and only 20 errors in his past 240 games at second since 2009.

This is not to write off Phelps. Most players don't stick in the majors when they receive their first promotion. But it makes sense to send him back to Columbus, especially because the Indians need someone to spell Lonnie Chisenhall at third base when a lefty pitches.

That would be Donald.

He was being groomed to take over at third -- at least for a while -- in spring training. But he suffered a hand injury. When he came back, there was a knee injury.

Now healthy, Donald is hitting .278 (.752 OPS) at Columbus. He has played 15 games at short and seven at third.

Last season, Donald made three errors in 41 games at second for the Tribe. He also batted .283 (.833 OPS) against left-handed pitching, something that should be valuable for the Tribe.

Then there is Kipnis, who is demanding the Indians pay attention. He was named the Tribe's Minor League Player of the Week, hitting .500 (13-of-26) with three homers at Columbus.

The left-handed-hitting second baseman is batting .305 (.914 OPS) with 11 homers, 50 RBI and 11-of-11 in stolen bases. At some point this season, the Indians were going to "transition" -- their phrase -- Chisenhall to third, Kipnis to second.

That could happen very, very soon.