Re: GameTime!™

Mets purchased the contract of OF Rajai Davis from Triple-A Syracuse.

Davis had a brief stint with the Mets during the first half, but he was designated for assignment before remaining with the team's Triple-A affiliate. The 38-year-old should be a useful bench player and part-timer down the stretch.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Hand is single-handedly blowing the Tribe's chances to win the division and maybe make the playoffs altogether.

I knew in my gut that Santana was going to hit that homer.

But as soon as Hand took the mound I knew in my gut that he was going to find a way to lose the game. He is currently playing awful baseball in pretty much every possible way.

Just read that players think Santana would have had the runner out if he threw home. Hard to tell from the tv angles I saw. Runner might have also simply returned to third base if Santana immediately made a move to throw home. But Hand should have at least tried to cover first in any event. He is no help simply standing around and watching the play.

Plus, these days trying to get the final out asap is the best option with Hand on the mound. He still couldn't get the final out even after he just finished helping the Mets tie up the game. Looked to me like Lindor had the ball in plenty of time to complete the double play if he had someone at first to throw to.

So who closes? Goody and Wittgren have been the best recently but neither has any closing experience.

If I recall Hand had been in a slump before we traded for him last summer and then he bounced back to top form. Of course that could happen again but this has been pretty persistent for a month now; he nearly blew the game for the AL All Stars and is it 4 in a row that he's blown now?

Shapiro used to say bullpens are so inconsistent. Usually because if you have a guy that is good you tend to use him a lot, then next year he has a tired arm.

I’m sure we’re seeing that with Hand, and we are going to regret not getting a closer before the deadline. The signs were there, just before the all star break on, Hand hasn’t been himself.

Although with some better defense, by himself and others, and we wouldn’t have had a few of these blown saves.

The one game where Naquin missed that ball at the wall, that isn’t one you could say should have been made. It would have been a great play, but certainly one some guys would have made. But the other two were definitely blunders that should have been made.

They argued back and forth on Chris Russo's show about this play.

Russo argued Hand was correct in assuming the throw would go home by Santana and it should have. Runner at 3rd would have been waaay out or had to return to 3rd.

After watching this over and over, Conforto is not slow, I agree with Russo that Santana should have gone home.

And Hand certainly thought he was going to. As Russo argued, even if Hand instantly bolted towards first that play was very questionable to have been converted. 3-6-1 plays are very unusual statistically.

And Santana's throw to Lindor was not perfect either - just a lot can go wrong there.

Just bad luck all around.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Thor is my favorite Avenger. Hopefully rain lasts long enough to keep him from coming back out.

We’ve scored 2, 3 and 0 runs last few games. Say what you want about Hand, our defense, whatever, but in this day and age that isn’t going to win many games.

We trade for a big right handed stick, Reyes, who had 27 homers. And the other day we are facing Matz, a lefty, and he sits the bench. Padres played him every day in OF but we couldn’t play him one day in a NL Park with no DH?

Plenty of blame to go around.

Yeah I've been puzzled about the use of Reyes. So far he hasn't impressed, whether that is a result of his utilization or the cause of his utilization.....IDK.

Ran across a tweet (forgot who) the other day about Brad Hand.
Brad Hand from March 28-June 24: 22 saves, zero blown saves, 1.05 ERA, 50 strikeouts in 34.1 innings (35 appearances)

Brad Hand since June 25: 7 saves, 5 blown saves, 8.33 ERA, 26 strikeouts in 16.2 innings (18 appearances)
Injured? Wore out? Bad stretch?

Either way we need him to get his act together, being able to go into the 9th with a run one lead and know he's gonna lock it down is a feeling that needs to come back.

I don't have any stats on Cimber's production but it seems to have dropped off considerably as well.

As far as the Offense.....seems as though they still haven't come back from the off day they had Monday. I'm guessing the Yankees and Twins series took a toll on them, then going to NL park they just haven't got into a groove.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.