Re: Articles

Vizquel’s Path to Shortstop at 40 Could Stand as a Test for Jeter

By TYLER KEPNER

Published: March 1, 2011

Omar Vizquel first played shortstop in the major leagues in 1989, when Derek Jeter was a freshman in high school. Now Vizquel is the only player on a roster who was active in the 1980s, the oldest man in baseball who does not throw a knuckleball.

Vizquel, who turns 44 next month, started at shortstop for the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday at Camelback Ranch. He does not play the position much anymore — just nine times last season — but his 2,690 games at shortstop rank first on the career list. Jeter is fifth with 2,274, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Jeter turns 37 in June, and to Vizquel, he is young. The master rejects the premise that Jeter’s performance is slipping.

“It’s really weird that I start reading a lot of stuff last year about people doubting him as a shortstop,” Vizquel said in the clubhouse Tuesday morning. “I just couldn’t believe what I was reading, because here I am playing shortstop at 41, 42 years old, and a guy that is 36 over there in New York, they’re talking about, ‘He can’t do it anymore.’ You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Vizquel may be incredulous because he is the only player in the last 90 years to do what Jeter is attempting now. Jeter’s new Yankees contract includes a player option for 2014, which he has said he will use. That would mean four more seasons as the starting shortstop, through age 40.

The Hall of Famer Honus Wagner played at least 100 games at shortstop from 1911 through 1915, when he was 41. Since then, Vizquel is the only man to play 100 games at the position for four consecutive seasons at age 37 or older. He did it for the Cleveland Indians and the San Francisco Giants from 2004 through 2007.

(Luke Appling, another Hall of Famer, lost most of two seasons to military service during World War II, when he was 37 and 38, and returned to be a regular shortstop for three of the next four seasons.)

Vizquel listed all the reasons the position can be challenging for older players. To succeed, he said, a shortstop must have quickness and explosiveness, swift lateral movement and the ability to accelerate, decelerate and jump. He must also be diligent.

“You’ve got to stay on top of your game all the time,” Vizquel said. “If you let it go, your body’s going to let you know real quick. And when you’re going to try to come back, it might be too late.”

Jeter acknowledged as much last month in Tampa, Fla. He starts training earlier in the off-season than he used to, he said, and his workouts last longer. His efforts last season could not save him from the worst year of his career, when his average tumbled 64 points, to .270. His defense suffered despite winning a Gold Glove.

Vizquel also had a bumpy year at age 36, in 2003, when two knee operations cost him most of the season. He recovered to hit ..291 for the 2004 Indians, but when he became a free agent after the season, only the Giants offered him a three-year contract through age 40.

Vizquel won Gold Gloves in each of the first two seasons in San Francisco and hit at his career norms, if not a bit better. He did not feel his age in the field until 2007, when he was 40 and in his final season as an everyday player. It was an unwelcome sensation for a fielder once famous for range.

“The ball goes by you, and you start questioning yourself and doubting: ‘Wow, I saw the ball there, why couldn’t I just get it?’ ” Vizquel said. “Maybe it was a matter of first-step reaction, or a matter of leaning down to get that ball. Your mind is telling you that you can get to that ball, and your body’s not allowing you to get to that ball.”

Advanced fielding metrics show that Jeter improved his range for two seasons before last year’s steep decline. Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman has spoken about Jeter’s eventually leaving shortstop, but learning a position in his late 30s could be more challenging than simply staying put.

Vizquel did not start at another position until 2009, when he was 42. Jeter has never played another position, and Vizquel doubts he ever will.

“Let’s face it — are you going to see Derek Jeter playing another position?” Vizquel said. “I don’t see him playing third base or second base. He’s just a natural shortstop.”

Few have ever looked as natural or graceful in the field as Vizquel, who needs 201 hits for 3,000, a milestone Jeter should reach by midseason. Vizquel doubts he will get enough playing time to make it, but his glove is his legacy, anyway.

His glove and his enthusiasm.

“I see a lot of 32-, 33-year-olds talking about, ‘Oh my God, I’m tired today,’ ” Vizquel said. “That really pumps me up. Here you are at 43, trying to do the same, and you don’t feel that kind of tiredness or soreness. It just makes you feel so good.”
" I am not young enough to know everything."

Associated Press

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Aaron Laffey's role was unclear with the Cleveland Indians. Maybe he'll find more clarity in Seattle.

The Indians traded the left-hander to the Mariners on Wednesday for minor league infielder Matt Lawson, who will report to Cleveland's minor league camp.

Laffey split time between Cleveland and Triple-A Columbus last season, and he bounced back and forth between the rotation and bullpen. The 25-year-old, who was once considered a rising star in the Indians' system, was in the mix to be the club's No. 5 starter this season.

In Seattle, Laffey will be reunited with former Indians manager Eric Wedge and pitching coach Carl Willis.

"With Aaron, we felt we had the opportunity to acquire a left-handed pitcher with major league experience," Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik said in a statement. "We will bring him to spring training and give him a chance to compete for a position on our pitching staff."

Laffey went 2-3 with a 4.53 ERA in 29 games last year for the Indians, who drafted him in 2003. He was 18-21 in 79 career games with Cleveland.

Lawson, 25, began last season in the Texas organization before he was traded to the Mariners in the deal for ace pitcher Cliff Lee. Lawson batted a combined .293 in 118 games at the Double-A level in 2010.

Last season, Lawson appeared in 99 games at second base, 13 games in left field, two games at shortstop and one game in center.

Nick Johnson signs with Indians

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- The Cleveland Indians have signed oft-injured Nick Johnson to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

The Indians announced the move with the first baseman-designated hitter on Monday.

The 32-year-old Johnson played in only 24 games last year for the New York Yankees before injuring his right wrist and going on the disabled list for the eighth time.

Johnson had surgery in February at the Cleveland Clinic. He will continue his rehabilitation work at the Indians' complex and no timetable has been given as to when he'll be able to play again.

Johnson has a career on-base percentage of .401 with the Yankees, Washington and Florida since making his major league debut in 2001. He's reached 150 plate appearances just once in the last four seasons.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- A year ago, Josh Tomlin logged just two Cactus League innings for the Indians as a Minor League fill-in. This spring, the right-hander is making a strong bid for the lone vacancy in Cleveland's rotation.

Tomlin fashioned three shutout innings on Saturday afternoon to help the Indians to a 2-1 victory over the Angels at Goodyear Park. It was the latest in a solid stretch of performances that pulled Tomlin out from under the radar and put him in the hunt for a spot on the Opening Day roster.

"He wasn't even invited to camp last year," said Indians manager Manny Acta. "He was a favorite in our Minor League system for years, but he never profiled to the outsiders as a big-time prospect. He has proved a lot of people wrong."
Josh Tomlin worked around four hits to complete three scoreless frames in relief of Fausto Carmona. (AP)

Tomlin surrendered four hits against the Angels in relief of Opening Day starter Fausto Carmona, but he escaped unscathed at every turn. The 26-year-old finished the afternoon with one strikeout and one walk, and he has allowed just one run over 11 innings this spring, including three shutout frames in an unofficial "B" game.

As things currently stand, Tomlin is up against David Huff and Jeanmar Gomez for the fifth spot in the Indians' rotation. Huff and Gomez will likely make one more start apiece before Acta narrows the competition to two pitchers.

Carmona blanked Los Angeles over four impressive innings, using his signature sinker to induce six outs on the ground and finished with five strikeouts, one walk and one hit allowed.

"Fausto was overpowering," Acta said. "He had very good stuff and was in the zone the whole time."

Said Carmona: "I feel ready."

The Indians broke through against Angels right-hander Dan Haren in the first inning. Center fielder Michael Brantley led off with a base hit and promptly stole second base before scoring on a base hit bu Asdrubal Cabrera. In the fourth, Cabrera and Shin-Soo Choo connected for consecutive doubles to plate the Tribe's second run.

Indians Up Next: Right-hander Carlos Carrasco makes his third start of the spring for the Indians on Sunday, when the Tribe heads to Peoria for a 4:05 p.m. ET tilt against the Padres, live on MLB.TV and Gameday Audio. Carrasco has a 3.60 ERA through his first two outings. Also scheduled to pitch for Cleveland is lefty David Huff, who is battling against Josh Tomlin and Jeanmar Gomez for the fifth spot in the rotation. The Tribe also plays a "B" game against the White Sox at 1 p.m. ET in Glendal

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- In baseball's food chain, those at the top and middle eat well. At the bottom, it is perform or pack your lunch and head to the minors.

In the last two days, the Indians' class system has been on display for the players who pitch for a living.

No.1 starter Fausto Carmona, in his best performance of the spring, pitched four scoreless innings Saturday against the Angels in a 2-1 Cactus League victory. He struck out five, allowed one hit and walked one. When he was done on the mound, Carmona went to the bullpen and threw 25 more pitches.

"Overpowering," is how manager Manny Acta described Carmona.

It's been a given that Carmona would be the Opening Day starter since camp opened on Feb. 15. It has to be a secure feeling to know your job is guaranteed the first day you stretch with your teammates.

Carmona has not pitched like a fat cat. He's 3-1 with a 5.25 ERA. The ERA is high because he was banged around in his last start, allowing six runs on seven hits against Arizona.

"I felt great that day, but the ball was up," said Carmona.

Saturday, everything Carmona threw was sinking and moving. He was throwing inside and outside to lefties and righties.

"I feel good, I feel ready," said Carmona, dripping sweat after running his sprints on the right field warning track. "Today I was just thinking about throwing strikes and getting out of each inning quick."

While Carmona is at the top of the rotation, Mitch Talbot is in the middle. Carmona and Talbot were the only Indians to win 10 games last year. Like Carmona, Talbot is guaranteed a spot in the rotation. Unlike Carmona, he's been hit hard this spring.
tomlin-talbot-drills-horiz-cc.jpgView full sizeChuck Crow / The Plain DealerJosh Tomlin (right) has been effective in making his case to be the Indians' fifth starter, while Mitch Talbot (center) has struggled, but is assured of the No. 3 spot in the rotation when camp breaks later this month.

In Friday's 5-5, 10-inning tie with Seattle, Talbot allowed two earned runs and five hits in three innings. He was supposed to pitch four innings, but threw too many pitches. In three starts, Talbot is 0-0 with a 17.55 ERA (13 earned runs in 6 2/3 innings). He's allowed 15 hits and the opposition is batting .429.

Spring training stats can cause concern, but shouldn't cause alarm. Talbot has been throwing his two-seam fastball a lot and it hasn't been sinking like it should. It might be because of Arizona's dry air or it might be because it's still March and Talbot knows he has at least three more starts to get ready.

"The two-seamer is how I got here," said Talbot. "It lets me get ground balls and I'm not getting ground balls right now. It's Arizona and the ball seems to stay up a little more than in Florida.

"If I do get it down, it seems like they hit one of those high choppers. I'm having trouble getting outs."

Acta wants Talbot to throw more strikes, especially first-pitch strikes, but he's willing to wait and see what the last 20 exhibition games hold.

"It's spring training and he's got a spot on the club," said Acta. "He's just getting himself ready."

Josh Tomlin followed Carmona to the mound Saturday. He did not allow a run over three innings, but didn't do it like Carmona. He allowed four hits and one walk. He struck out one and needed good defensive plays by first baseman Matt LaPorta and third baseman Luis Valbuena to keep the Angels off the scorecard.

Tomlin is competing with David Huff and Jeanmar Gomez for the fifth and last spot in the rotation. It's not the ideal spot to be in, but it's a big improvement from last spring when he was in minor-league camp and pitched only two innings in Cactus League games.

It has always been that way for Tomlin, a long shot as a 19th round pick by the Indians in 2006. He is used to coming from behind.

"I'm not 6-5 and 220 pounds," said Tomlin. "I don't throw 98 mph. I barely touch 90 sometimes. For me it's about battling and competing. I love doing both. I think it helps me a little bit."

Tomlin, who won six games for the Tribe last year, is having a great spring. He's allowed one earned run in eight innings. He's struck out four, walked one and allowed six hits.

"Josh battled, but he made pitches," said Acta. "That's what he does. He has four good pitches (fastball, curve, change, cutter). Perhaps none of them are eye opening, but they're all quality pitches."

Tomlin figures he has three more starts left this spring.

"Whoever wins this competition will deserve it," he said.

Don't see any reason Talbot should have a guaranteed spot in the rotation. If Tomlin and Huff are better then give them the jobs. No big deal about any of them. We're waiting for White to prove he belongs and for Pomeranz to zip through the minors

Terry Pluto on the Tribe today:

About the Tribe...

1. Here is the good news from Arizona: Carlos Carrasco and Justin Masterson have been impressive. Masterson fanned five in three innings in his last start. This spring, he has allowed three runs and struck out eight in eight innings. Control will always be an issue with Masterson, who has walked four and hit two batters.

2. In his last two months with the Tribe, Masterson was 3-3 with a 2.86 ERA. He was 3-5 with a 3.84 ERA after the All-Star break. He's 26 and was the key player in the Victor Martinez deal. While the focus has been what the Indians received in trades for Cy Young winners Cliff Lee and C.C. Sabathia, Martinez was an All-Star, a .300 hitter. The Indians must make that deal pay off, too.

3. Carrasco has allowed two runs in five spring innings, fanning five. The Indians are extremely pleased, as he looks even better than when he was promoted in September. With the Tribe, Carrasco pitched at least six innings in all seven of his starts, going 2-2 with a 2.83 ERA. He will be 24 on March 21.

4. Yes, Jason Donald appears to be the starting third baseman, but odds are he will be a utility infielder when phenom Lonnie Chisenhall (.478) takes over some time this summer. Lou Marson is a backup catcher. Jason Knapp is still in the minors. Carrasco is the key guy in the deal.

5. A strange stat on Carrasco: In his 44 2/3 Tribe innings, the right-hander held lefty hitters to a .193 average. But righties hammered him (.356, 1.042 OPS). In his 150 Class AAA innings, it was .233 for lefty hitters, .265 for right-handers. So maybe the difference with the Tribe is due to a small sample.

6. The assumption is Mitch Talbot has a spot in the rotation, despite his miserable spring so far. Talbot has been terrible: 15 hits and three homers in 6 2/3 innings. That covers three starts. Talbot says he's healthy, but that 17.55 ERA and his lack of control and velocity makes some wonder.

7. The Indians believe they have options if Talbot falters. They will pick a fifth starter from the group of Josh Tomlin, Jeanmar Gomez and David Huff. Tomlin has the early lead. The Indians are encouraged because Huff and Gomez have thrown well, and one could easily replace Talbot.

8. The bad news department is Travis Hafner entered the weekend at 8-of-28. The .286 batting average is OK, but only one of his hits has been a double, the rest are singles. He also has walked only once. It's unrealistic to expect Hafner to regain his 1.000 OPS form of 2004-06. But he is off to a very slow start in showing any power. Hafner is a veteran, but the Indians would like to see him pull the ball with some authority.

9. It's a little different for Matt LaPorta, who entered the weekend at 4-of-29 (.138). He has a homer and two doubles among his four hits. But he's walked only once and seemed uncertain at the plate. He will be given plenty of time to prove he can produce, as he is the only right-handed hitter with significant power potential.

10. Here's what a baseball person who has watched Chisenhall this spring has to say about the 2008 Tribe No. 1 pick: "There's a certain sound when the ball goes off his bat, he makes such solid contact. He has a nice, short left-handed swing. He makes it look easy. He is supposed to need work on his defense, but he's been OK at third base so far. It won't be long until he's in Cleveland."

11. Drew Pomeranz -- the 2010 first-rounder -- pitched three hitless innings, fanning five, before being sent to minor-league camp. He has yet to pitch in the minors. The lefty averaged between 93-96 mph with his fastball, and some scouts believe he has more stuff than 2009 first-rounder Alex White.

12. White has allowed 10 hits and six runs in five innings. He was 10-10 with a 2.45 ERA between Class A and Class AA in 2010, his first pro season. The Indians have wanted White to develop his change-up, and being knocked around in a few spring starts reinforces that message for a guy who had been able to pitch well with his low 90s fastball and hard breaking ball.

13. The other key player in the Martinez deal is Nick Hagadone, who was sent to minor-league camp. He was 3-5 with a 3.75 ERA between Class A and Class AA last season. He throws in 92-96 mph range, but control is a factor. He walked 63 in 86 innings. He did strike out 89. He may open the season as a starter, but his future is the bullpen.

Chisenhall closer to The Show?
9:23
AM ET Cleveland Indians Top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall is a step closer to being the Cleveland Indians' Opening Day third baseman than he was last week, reports Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer.

Jason Donald is the front-runner, but he continues to be bothered by a bone bruise in his hand. While manager Manny Acta insists that Donald has time to be ready by Opening Day, bone bruises can be tricky, and the Tribe might best be served by giving the injury more time to heal.

Chisenhall has done his part to claim the job, batting .478 (11-for-23) with two homers in 11 Cactus League games. But by keeping Chisenhall in the minors to start the year, the Tribe can control his service time clock and push back his eligibility for arbitration.

If Donald lands on the DL, Acta could turn to temporary solutions such as Luis Valbuena or Jayson Nix.

Chisenhall was ranked No. 39 overall by ESPN Insider's Keith Law this winter. Here's Law's report on the left-handed hitter:

- Doug Mittler

Keith Law
No. 39: Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, Cleveland Indians

"Chisenhall started slowly with a troublesome shoulder that put him on the DL in May, but after his return, he hit more in line with expectations, putting up a .284/.359/.493 (BA/OBP/SLG) line in 401 plate appearances the rest of the way, excellent numbers for a 21-year-old in Double-A. He has one of the prettiest swings in the minors, along with Mike Moustakas, with a direct path, easy hip rotation and above-average power already. His hand-eye coordination is good, leading to lots of hard line-drive contact. Chisenhall's pitch recognition is noticeably worse against left-handers, and he struggled with major league velocity when I saw him in March (possibly the result of the shoulder problem), so odds are he's a year-plus away from major league production. Chisenhall has a special swing and he's going to be very productive with an average glove at third."

Typical dumb cheap move by dolan. He didnt want to face the heat in the event this guy kept hitting of having to decide to bring him up so might as well just phillips him and get him out of everyone's hair sooner rather than later. Heaven forbid you bring up your hot shot rook to bring some life to the team. Might as well go with another never wases. Why would any fan pay any money to see this joke of a franchise.

Goodyear, Ariz. -- This is a daily briefing on the Cleveland Indians in spring training as they prepare for the 2011 season.

March 14, Day 28 -- Closer Chris Perez walked past a row of empty lockers by the doorway of the Indians locker room on Monday morning and called it "coffin corner."

Third base prospect Lonnie Chisenhall, the hottest hitter in spring training for the Tribe, was one of the players farmed out. Zach McAllister, Nick Weglarz, Zach Putnam, Alex White, Juan Apodaca and Jason Kipnis joined him.

There are now 47 players in camp.

McAllister and Weglarz were sent to Class AAA Columbus. Chisenhall and the others were re-assigned to minor league camp.

Chisenhall, 3-for-4 in a B game against the White Sox on Sunday, hit .478 (11-for-23) in 11 Cactus League games. He hit two doubles, one triple and two homers.

Unless he's brought back to camp before the start of the season, it means Jason Donald is the favorite to start at third base for the Indians. Of course, he has to get over his bruised left hand.

Paul Cousineau

With that, let’s get loose on a Lazy Sunday attempting to provide some context on expectations that seem to have emerged under the Arizona sun for a couple of youngsters who count themselves as some of the Indians’ top prospects…

Of course, the reference there is to the spell that The Chizard has cast over the North Coast as conversations over whether Lonnie Chisenhall should be the Indians’ Opening Day 3B have stretched from the Interwebs to the inanity of sports talk radio. While a great Spring story is just that and needed for a team in need of a good hopeful story, let me see if I have the most incendiary of the arguments for the Indians starting the season with The Chiz at 3B, and how they relate more to the organization than necessarily to Chisenhall. Here goes – “the Indians are stupid for not going with their best team on Opening Day because Chisenhall is their best 3B…RIGHT NOW” and “the Dolans are too cheap to allow the Indians to bring Chisenhall north with them and it’s only a matter of time before they trade him off with every other great player they have.”

First, let’s hold off on the designation of The Chiz as a great, or even potentially great, player and give the kid a chance to prove himself over more than 25 PA in Spring Training before he’s anointed as much more than the Indians’ 3B of the Future. Chisenhall is unquestionably a good prospect, with a short stroke who is able to make solid contact and whose future appears bright as an Indian.

However, in terms of this argument that The Chiz should be manning the hot corner for the Tribe on April 1st, let me put this in non-Indians related terms as clearly as possible with a very tangible example, and I’ll go slowly with this so I don’t lose anyone…

Going into 2010, Jayson Heyward and Buster Posey were two of the most highly-regarded prospects in MLB. Heyward started the season on the Braves’ Opening Day roster while the Giants waited until May 29th to call Posey up from AAA. Because of that two-month difference in service time accumulated – and here comes the important part – Heyward can become a Free Agent after the 2015 season while Posey will remain under the Giants’ control through the 2016 season. The Giants gained a full year of control over Posey (who will be 29 in that 2016 season) by delaying his first game played in MLB in 2010. Finally, remember that the Giants won a World Series last year despite holding Posey off of their roster for 2 months.

While nobody is suggesting that the Indians are going to win the World Series this year (Chiz or no Chiz…and Buster Posey was/is worlds ahead of The Chiz as a prospect), the bottom line is that if the Tribe keeps Chisenhall down until June or so, they control him through the 2017 season, when Lonnie will be 28 years old, instead of only through the 2016 season, which would be the case if Chisenhall were to be on the Opening Day roster.

Forget whether the Indians are going to contend this year or in 2017, the basic question is whether you would rather have two or three months this season of a 22-year-old Chisenhall or a full season of a 28-year-old Lonnie.

That’s it…that’s the end of the discussion, despite what some lazy sportswriters (and you’ll notice that Jordan Bastian seems to be the lone voice of reason out there) desperate for an angle or another way to pile on the Indians (as if it isn’t easy enough) have been involved in all Spring. Maybe 2017 feels like it is a long way away (because it is) and there is a sense among some fans that the Indians are always planning for a day in the future while not giving a moment to think about the present, but we’re not talking about the Indians going with a guy like Jack Hannahan at 3B to “block” The Chiz, we’re talking about a 26-year-old who just got his first taste to MLB and deserves a longer look…but we’ll get to that.

For now, in terms of that player control issue, is it unfortunate that this is the way that MLB is set up, causing most teams to exercise this “clock management” strategy?
Of course, but those are your two options with guys like Chisenhall – to allow him to start the season in MLB and lose club control over him a full year earlier than you would if you simply kept him in the Minors for about two to two-and-and-a-half months. That’s how the system is set up in MLB and the Indians are far from the only teams to utilize this “clock management”, particularly with the top prospects. If you don’t believe me, check how many of the players on the various top prospect lists make their MLB debut between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.

But it’s a money savings for the Dolans, right?
Actually, with the way that the arbitration process is set up in MLB, the opposite is potentially true – and that would actually be the best case scenario for the Indians because it would mean that a player like Chisenhall is performing at a high level prior to or in his arbitration years, meaning he’d be getting more money through the arbitration process. That is to say that The Chiz is likely to perform better as a 26-year-old than as a 22-year-old in MLB and since the arbitration process relies heavily on statistics accumulated, the idea that a “more ready” Lonnie Chisenhall would put up better numbers once he did arrive to MLB, which would in turn make him more expensive in the coming years, if arbitration was broached.

However with the Indians, that point could be moot, if the Indians hold true to the manner in which they’ve dealt with their young players, buying out FA years in guaranteed contracts for more money upfrontthe Indians could add on years past 2017 for a guy like The Chiz. Which is to say that if his final year of club control is 2017 and the Indians approach Chisenhall at some point in the next couple of years to give him guaranteed money while buying out FA years (as has been their modus operandi), those FA years start a year later and the Indians would be controlling a player like The Chiz even longer into his career.

Abdominal soreness sidelines reliever Smith

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Indians reliever Joe Smith is currently fighting upper abdominal soreness, and will likely be sidelined for a few days.

Smith has not pitched in a game since logging one inning against the Padres on Wednesday. He initially thought he would be back on the mound on Sunday, when Cleveland had a road game against San Diego and a "B" game against the White Sox.

"I was supposed to pitch today, actually," Smith said. "I've just been a little sore -- nothing serious. Hopefully, I'll be back in there soon."

Smith said he hopes to be back on a mound for the Indians by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. The 26-year-old right-hander is under contract for $870,000 for the upcoming season. Last year, Smith went 2-2 with a 3.83 ERA in 53 appearances out of the Tribe's bullpen.

Smoke signals

The Indians were defeated, 11-8, by the White Sox in a "B" game on Sunday morning at Chicago's complex in Glendale. Cleveland catcher Carlos Santana led off and served as a designated hitter, finishing 1-for-5 with a home run. Infield prospest Cord Phelps went 2-for-5 with a homer for the Tribe. Indians third-base prospect Lonnie Chisenhall, who is hitting .478 through 11 Cactus League games this spring, went 3-for-4 in the loss. Pitching prospect Alex White allowed three runs on three hits with three strikeouts and one walk in 2 2/3 innings for the Indians. ... Outfielder Jordan Brown, who left the team to attend to a family situation earlier this week, rejoined the ballclub on Sunday. He started at first base for the Indians in the "B" game. ... Outfielder Trevor Crowe, who has been battling soreness in his right rotator cuff this spring, is still working on strengthening his shoulder. He said on Sunday that he hopes to resume a throwing program soon. ... Indians reliever Chad Durbin approached a group of reporters on Sunday morning and asked, "Did any of you guys get messed up by the time change? There were probably 30 guys here an hour early this morning." Asked if he was one of them, Durbin laughed and nodded. When the clocks change for Daylight Saving Time, Arizona does not alter its clocks. Instead, it shifts from Mountain Standard Time to Pacific Standard Time.