Re: General Discussion

by joez

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Forum: Tribe ForumTopic:

General Discussion

Replies: 4034

Views: 105876

Farrell's done a nice job in Boston, but Francona's worked magic in Cleveland. Francona has to be the front runner for MOY in 2013.
Never a doubt! :D

What Francona did in Cleveland was really a minor miracle. Farrell had the bankroll and the stars shined for them in the playoffs, but Francona was the better of the field generals. He commanded his troops with aplomb. I posted often enough that I haven't seen this kind of field generalship in this city in ages and that goes for all of our sporting teams.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Screw the $100,000,000.00 deals. I'll be satisfied with just a couple of $25,000,000.00
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

I like the Murphy signing and platoon with Rayburn. Looking at a Chiz/platoon with the ex Red Sox SS as well. That moves Swisher to 1B and Gomes will be the everyday C. With Lindor ready by next summer I see the Tribe shopping Stubbs, Santana and Cabby. I hope we pay Masterson and get a good young P for Santana (preferably a L). Tribe has a real chance to do something special with this core group if we can add a couple of impact pieces...

This is shaping up to be a pretty interesting December....

I like the Murphy signing too. This guy has been a really nice bat for Texas (last year the exception, a good "buy low" opportunity IMO).

That said it raises some REALLY serious questions here. Left handed outfield/1B/DH bats are now in VERY abundant supply here. How do you squeeze them all in now that it's clear Yan Gomes is an excellent catcher and Santana's days there are pretty well done?

I certainly am suspicious another move in this area is pending. Trading one of those guys. Perhaps SP, 3B, or relief pitching would be involved coming back.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Indians sign lefty Mike Zagurski to minor league deal

By Tony Lastoria

November 21, 2013

Share This

The Indians have signed left-handed reliever Mike Zagurski to a minor league deal with an invite to major league spring training.

Zagurski, 31, spent 2013 with the Pirates, Yankees, and Athletics, and racked up a 17.05 ERA in only 6.1 innings of work (11 H, 12 R/ER, 8 BB, 5 K). He made 45 appearances in Triple-A and was much better as he went 6-3 with a 3.04 ERA (53.1 IP, 44 H, 24 BB, 83 K).

Zagurski is a large sized, bad bodied lefty standing in at 6-feet and 240 pounds. He is inconsistent with his command, but he has some swing and miss stuff with a low 90s fastball that can reach 95 MPH and a solid slider. He's a depth signing to add more options for left-handed relief in the event injuries crop up this spring or others struggle to perform.

Follow Tony and the Indians Prospect Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
-- Bob Feller

I don't get it! Zagurski!?!?! If they were looking at some lefties, on November 5, 2013, Rafael Perez was granted free agency. He's pitching very well this winter and I believe he's auditioning for a job. If it comes down to Zagurski or Perez, I want Perez.
-- Bob Feller