Re: Articles

kenm wrote:Guiillen is right but you guys wont admit it. Thome said some dumb things but he left because dolan low balled him.

Organized sports always seem to need and have a villain or a team every fan longs to beat. From The Yankees for most, and to arch rivals for others. This past year it was seemingly every fan against the Miami Heat.

The timing of Jim Thome's exit just made him a convenient villain de jour for Tribe Fans. I think we all know the "hate" among Tribe Fans wasn't all that deep, even among those who had fun booing him and rooting against him when he came to Cleveland.

rusty2 wrote:I think Donna will tell you that the dislike for Thome ran deep. I don't think you understand the situation at all.
You could be right. Maybe I don't. I only know I happily jeered him and hoped for K's when I saw him come to bat after he left The Indians. But I never hated him at near the level as I would hate The Steelers or Michigan. I was happy to see his #600, and I've been happy to follow some of the other guys along the way from the class of '95. Omar Vizquel, of course. Carlos Baerga as he emerged again from the minor leagues, and even Alan Embree and Julian Tavares. I especially liked Omar and Tavares.

Tribe Fan in SC/Cali wrote:http://jewsandbaseball.com/

One of our local PBS stations has an hour long documentary narrated by Dustin Hoffman noting the love of baseball by Jewish-Americans. Interviews with Yogi Berra, Sandy Koufax, Bob Feller, Shawn Green, Al Rosen and Kevin Youkilis are featured.

I think I may have seen this one before one late night, but perhaps not since it was just released in 2010.
I had not seen this one before. Super nicely done.

Great viewing for any American Baseball Fan.

To each their own, but for me personally Thome can eat $#!^ and die.

Ozzie can spoon feed it to him before taking his own big bite.

He should stick to talking about things he knows about, like Venezuala and Sean Penn, and keep his nose out of our family business. Nobody gives a rats ass what he thinks anyway, as hard as that would be for him to believe.

You should suspect all of them and about a half a dozen other guys on those teams. Including Omar.
If that's the case, then the whole league was doing them.
And if THAT's the case, then let's wonder what is the big deal about voting Barry Bonds in to the HOF. Manny too.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Who is this "TONY" person and when is he going to grow up?

CAn't say I am surprised. Maybe it will wake him up to ride a bus!

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- In a surprising move Tuesday the Indians optioned first baseman Matt LaPorta to Class AAA Columbus to make room for right-hander Jeanmar Gomez on the 25-man roster. Gomez will start against Oakland on Tuesday night at Progressive Field.

LaPorta, one of the few healthy regulars left on the Indians, has had a disappointing year. He's hitting .238 (76-for-319) with 18 doubles, 11 homers and 44 RBI in 97 games.

The Indians were counting on LaPorta to be a source of right-handed power in a lineup dominated by left-handed hitters. It hasn't worked out that way. LaPorta has struck out 79 times, while drawing 20 walks. He heads to Columbus with .289 on base percentage and a .404 slugging percentage.

LaPorta is hitting .205 (16-for-78) against lefties and .249 (6-for-241) against righties. Ten of his homers have come against right-handers.

Gomez, 23, has spent most of the season in Columbus where he has gone 10-7 with a 2.55 ERA in 21 starts. He ranks second among International League pitchers in ERA (2.55), fifth in wins (10) and 15 innings pitched (137.2) and strikeouts (107).

He has appeared in five games for the Indians, including four starts. He's 0-2 with a 5.70. He'll wear No. 58.
UD

CLEVELAND -- Manny Acta made it clear that first baseman Matt LaPorta was not demoted to Triple-A Columbus because of his performance, but the Indians' manager was quick to note that LaPorta has underperformed this season.

"Expectations have always been very high for him," Acta said prior to a 6-2 win over the A's on Tuesday. "So far, it's been a challenge for him."

Prior to Tuesday's game against the A's, the Indians optioned LaPorta to Triple-A to clear room on the roster for right-hander Jeanmar Gomez. Per Major League guidelines, LaPorta must remain in the Minors for a minimum of 10 days before he can be summoned back to the Majors. An exception can be made if another player lands on the disabled list.

The wide range of injuries that have ravaged Cleveland's roster played a role in LaPorta's trip to Columbus. With a depleted infield (Jason Kipnis is on the 15-day DL with a right hamstring issue) and outfield (Grady Sizemore, Michael Brantley and Shin-Soo Choo are all dealing with health woes), LaPorta became vulnerable.

Gomez gave the Indians an immediate boost against Oakland, tossing six innings and allowing only an unearned run. He was recalled because two members of the club's rotation -- Josh Tomlin and Carlos Carrasco are on the 15-day DL with right elbow ailments -- and the Tribe has alternative options for first base in Carlos Santana, Shelley Duncan and Jack Hannahan. For now, Santana will get the bulk of the time at first.

"The move was not made based on Matt's year," Acta emphasized. "It was pretty much strictly [based on that] we can't send any infielders down with the situation we're in right now. We can't send any outfielders down with the situation we're in right now. We could not send a pitcher down."

That said, LaPorta's offensive struggles made him a candidate for being sent down.

Through 97 games for the Tribe this year, LaPorta has hit .238 with 11 homers and 44 RBIs. Entering the season, Cleveland hoped he would continue to develop into the right-handed power hitter that the lineup sorely needs. That has been the hope since the Indians acquired LaPorta from Milwaukee as part of the trade for CC Sabathia in 2008.

"A lot of inconsistency," said Acta, referring to LaPorta's showing this season. "He still shows the flashes of the player that we are envisioning him to be, but it's very inconsistent. He still needs some work on his plate discipline. He's a guy who's projected to be a walks, power guy, and that's still not there.

"He's made some progress. But the expectations, obviously, on a guy like him are higher than that. Not because of the trade or anything like that, but being a high pick and a guy who cruised through the Minor Leagues."

"A lot of inconsistency," said Acta, referring to LaPorta's showing this season. "He still shows the flashes of the player that we are envisioning him to be, but it's very inconsistent. He still needs some work on his plate discipline. He's a guy who's projected to be a walks, power guy, and that's still not there.

"He's made some progress. But the expectations, obviously, on a guy like him are higher than that. Not because of the trade or anything like that, but being a high pick and a guy who cruised through the Minor Leagues."

ANSWER: WINTERBALL {:>)--
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Updated: August 31, 2011,

Indians get good news on Travis Hafner

CLEVELAND -- The injury-a-day Indians finally got a favorable medical checkup.

Designated hitter Travis Hafner received "encouraging" news Wednesday from doctors about his injured right foot and could return soon for the playoff chase.

"We're going to be able to see him again," manager Manny Acta said before Cleveland hosted Oakland. "I don't have a timetable yet, but it's encouraging that he's going to be able to rejoin our team and play again -- this year."

Also, outfielder Michael Brantley had successful right hand surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

Hafner has been sidelined since Aug. 21, when he strained a tendon in his foot after hitting a single in Detroit and rounding first base. Hafner's foot had been bothering him since he hurt it while sliding in April. He's batting .281 with 11 homers and 49 RBIs.

Acta would not address if Hafner will need offseason surgery.

"I'm not going to get into that," Acta said, deferring the question to trainer Lonnie Soloff, who was not available for comment.

Hafner did not speak with reporters. He left Progressive Field while the Indians were taking pregame batting practice.

Cleveland's offense has sputtered and could use Hafner's big bat back in the middle of its lineup. With Hafner out, the Indians acquired slugger Jim Thome in a trade from Minnesota last week. Acta said he will use both Hafner and Thome at DH when both are healthy.

Because of a sore back, Thome is limited to playing just three days in a row, and he's not in the lineup for day games after the Indians play the previous night.

"(Hafner) is not going to be able to play every day, and Thome is in the same situation," Acta said. "They'll share duties."

The Indians have been ravaged by injuries all season, yet have managed to stay near the top in the AL Central. They currently have six players -- five starters -- on the disabled list. Also, outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has been limited by an injured side. He hasn't played since Saturday.

But as August closes, the Indians are at least getting a little healthier.

Outfielder Grady Sizemore begins a rehab stint at Double-A Akron and could rejoin the Indians within the next week. Sizemore has been out since July 18 with a bruised knee. He will DH on Wednesday, play six innings in the outfield on Thursday and then get a day off.

The Indians will see how he responds before deciding when to activate the three-time All-Star, who came back from knee microfracture surgery and was playing well before getting hurt again.

Brantley, who is out for the season with the hand injury, underwent surgery Wednesday at the Cleveland Clinic. The Indians reported the operation by noted orthopedist Dr. Thomas Graham was a success and they expect the 24-year-old Brantley to be ready for spring training.

No telling with the oblique MtFan. I haven't heard a return date yet.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller